NVQ Help please - employment law?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by KateCB, Jun 3, 2011.

1. KateCB

KateCB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My daughter has been given a question in her NVQ4, which she can't find an answer to, even Google failed! I honestly don't know - can you help either point her in the right direction or explain it please?

"There are three types of employment status - a 'worker' and 'employee' and 'self employed. Give three basic employment rights for each status."

I honestly don't know how she can answer this - never had 'workers' I either employ people or I don't - if someone is 'self employed' then what employment rights do these people have if I asked them to do work for me?
    Posted: Jun 3, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  2. Employment Law Clinic

Employment Law Clinic UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

Hi Kate,

It is a complicated issue enveloped in statue & case law, but Direct.gov might provide some leads on it.

If she does the research, and my time permits, I'll happily check over any answer she drafts.

Karl Limpert
    Posted: Jun 3, 2011 By: Employment Law Clinic Member since: Aug 10, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. KateCB

She is happy to do the research, just didn't know where to go! At this stage (Just started it) they want thre exampled for each status, so the answers will be short and to the point, however if I may I might send you other things in the future if she gets stuck?
    Posted: Jun 3, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  4. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

I would say "worker" is usually referred to an agency worker, well that's what we call them being from an agency background.
    Posted: Jun 3, 2011 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  5. jules12345

jules12345 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employm...Workersemployeesandselfemployment/DG_10027916

regards
    jules
    Posted: Jun 4, 2011 By: jules12345 Member since: Jun 11, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. KateCB

Thanks to Karl and Jules - if the link you have posted doesn't help then I give in.....!!
    Posted: Jun 4, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  7. YourLaw.co

YourLaw.co UKBF Newcomer Free Member

This is a very difficult question for an NVQ. Until last August I was a lecturer in law at a university and I must say that I would not have expected my students to be able to answer that question without some research.

Having said that I would have wanted them to find out on their own. She has had more than a pointer now (above) so she should get there.

Francis
    Posted: Jun 4, 2011 By: YourLaw.co Member since: Apr 27, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. KateCB

Hi Francis,

SHe doesn't mind doing the research, but Google was no help, and she was floundering - this is in the the first set of questions on this new course so goodness knows what else she will need to research! Knowing where to start is always helpful of course!

This is an NVQ4 Business managment course, but having looked through (briefly) some of the questions, there are things that as an office manager she would never need to be involved with - this one for instance, I would have thought that HR would be more likely to have this sort of information (not that we have an HR department, too small) and as I said, I either employ people as employees or I don't, so I wasn't any help to her!

Thanks for everyones help though - no doubt I will be back at some point for more :)
    Posted: Jun 6, 2011 By: KateCB Member since: May 11, 2006
  9. sjbeale

sjbeale UKBF Ace Full Member

An employee has full employment rights. A worker may have some employment rights and a self-employed person has no employment rights. Their status should be reflected in the employment contract.
    Posted: Jun 7, 2011 By: sjbeale Member since: Jul 8, 2005