Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by InFront Digital
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Not 100% sure what marketing is, or how to do it?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by AllUpHere, Feb 25, 2015.

1. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

One other thing I've been meaning to do.

Before this current thread was pinned to the top of this forum, I had another similar thread in the same position. The subject matter is similar, and may be of interest to anyone who has read this far on this thread.

It's titled 'Marketing does work, you are doing it wrong' and can be found here.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  2. dwight10

dwight10 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, it's about attracting the right people to your business so its a win win win! There are some free marketing ideas here. Go to Youtube type in "5 Business Video Production Lessons For Business Marketing"

Posted: Nov 20, 2015 By: dwight10 Member since: Jan 7, 2013
  3. Jack Anderson

Jack Anderson UKBF Contributor Free Member

There's tons of info on the web, and I bet you've been given some good advice in this thread as well. But to me personally, you need to choose a niche in which you would want to operate. And that depends on the type of your business. Starting from scratch, you should find out more about the concepts of ATL and BTL advertisement/marketing. Also, you should define where to put the most effort - to off-line or online activities. If your online activities are prevailing ones then I would personally recommend subscribing to a HubSpot newsletter. They have tons of useful information in their ebooks as well as they keep you updated in their emails.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: Jack Anderson Member since: Jan 22, 2016
  4. AllUpHere

For anyone who's wondering, that's 'above the line' and 'below the line' marketing. The good news is, it's irrelevant for small businesses, and only really applicable to large businesses who have budgets to burn on 'brand awareness'.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  5. Henry Simons

Henry Simons UKBF Contributor Free Member

Agree with this. There is a lot of value in outsourcing marketing to a full service agency that will begin with a comprehensive ROI driven strategy. So often companies just start posting across social media with no real plan of what they're trying to achieve.

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 By: Henry Simons Member since: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Nabeeda

Nabeeda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

I am new here and had a really important question:

I am looking to get someone to design A0 (the posters you see glued up in town) and A5 flyers. I would also need these printed. I was wondering whether you all know any good designers and printers at a good rate. As the business has just started I would like to use the cheapest and best rate on the market.

So please let me know.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 By: Nabeeda Member since: Feb 29, 2016
  7. Gregory Diehl

Gregory Diehl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The first question I ask prospective entrepreneurs is what you want your brand identity to be. This is so often overlooked until far too late. Your brand is the collective conception others have of you or your business. It is that intangible awareness (the context) through which your audience will interpret and react to specific pitches and attempts to generate new business. The power of a message comes from who is saying it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 By: Gregory Diehl Member since: Mar 6, 2016
  8. bepquangheu

bepquangheu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Great post! I'm sure this will get a lot of people thinking. This quote "it's also the way in which you choose who your target markets are in the first place, and also how you find out what their needs are." is particularly interesting and definitely something we should all consider more.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: bepquangheu Member since: Mar 4, 2016
  9. InternetMarketingPlatinum

InternetMarketingPlatinum UKBF Ace Full Member

Marketing is simply finding out what your prospects and customers want...and giving it to them!

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: InternetMarketingPlatinum Member since: Jul 21, 2009
  10. mm88

mm88 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

This really did get me thinking.

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: mm88 Member since: Mar 4, 2016
  11. MD. Afser Uddin

MD. Afser Uddin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

NickGrogan Idea is not 100% correct .But 60% is correct.

Posted: Apr 10, 2016 By: MD. Afser Uddin Member since: Apr 10, 2016
  12. AnnaDanishek

AnnaDanishek UKBF Contributor Free Member

Understand customer needs and wants > Design customer-driven strategy > Build a marketing programme to deliver value > Create profitable relationships > Capture value from customers to create profits and quality.

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 By: AnnaDanishek Member since: Apr 14, 2016
  13. Intelicle_

Intelicle_ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Nice Post. I think Marketing is all about identifying the right target audience for your product. You can launch a product but presenting that idea to wrong target audience/market will not do any good. Marketing has all the basic tool which gives you that freedom.

it's up to you which tool you select to fulfill your need.

Posted: May 13, 2016 By: Intelicle_ Member since: May 13, 2016
  14. RedApple

RedApple UKBF Newcomer Free Member

In my own opinion marketing covers a lot of things in terms of promoting a business. It involves selling and advertising.

Posted: May 31, 2016 By: RedApple Member since: May 31, 2016
  15. dfgh010203

dfgh010203 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

check out

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 By: dfgh010203 Member since: Jun 2, 2016
  16. techbat

techbat UKBF Contributor Full Member

Well...It is 7th page now and it seems to be a very very interesting thread as dozen of opinion are here explaining marketing and few of them are really good and note worthy.

Being an IT business service provider company we perform several marketing activities and mostly are on digital platforms yet one thing is very common and important which is "understanding the requirement of your target audience". You have to understand what is your audience, what thay want and what are the channels they use to buy these services. Accordingly you have to design your marketing strategy.

This is one basic yet vital part of your marketing strategy...

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 By: techbat Member since: Dec 19, 2014
  17. John Crowder

John Crowder UKBF Contributor Free Member

I`ve enjoyed reading this thread.

What is Marketing then? Most people don't want to know what it is, they want to know what it does.

I meet very few marketers who can go into a business, tell them what to do and how much it will cost to generate a level of result.

On the flip side I also meet many businesses that deny they market their business at all, because of referrals, word of mouth etc - when that is marketing.

To me defining what you do that generates sales and trying things to generate more sales is marketing.

Don't spend what you cant afford - time and money - and only spend on action not consultants.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 By: John Crowder Member since: Jun 6, 2016
  18. AllUpHere

I presume you've had some bad experiences with consultants? If not, that's incredibly short sighted. The consultants job is to make sure that the 'actions' you are spending money on are the right ones, and that they are used in the right way.

If the use of a consultant is costing you money, you're using the wrong consultant.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  19. John Crowder

John Crowder UKBF Contributor Free Member

I do have a jaded view of marketers.

I have a marketing background, did the CIM stuff as well that was my employed career.

Now, I just see so many small businesses where they have paid to be 80/20'ed, maslowed, segmented, strategized, etc,etc but have nothing tangible to show for it.

All analysis, no actions, no results.

I think as a small business when you have a limited budget - you are better taking a punt on action because all marketing is gambling.

You can speak to other small businesses and research from your desk, using forums like this to focus your efforts and lessen risk.

And whilst I agree with the premise "If the use of a consultant is costing you money, you're using the wrong consultant." , how do you choose the right one.

Even the bad ones can show great track records.

Posted: Jun 8, 2016 By: John Crowder Member since: Jun 6, 2016
  20. along

along UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Advertising is the whole thing you do before you print the cost list; design, R&D, packaging etc.

After that it is revenue.

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 By: along Member since: Jun 10, 2016