1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

New Google site preview being tested

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Chunkford, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Chunkford

Chunkford UKBF Regular Free Member

Anyone else had the chance to see a new site preview in the Google SERPs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like they've replaced the tiny magnifying glass with a large vertical button, changed the background colour for the snippet of text and completely filled the right hand area where the PPC ads were.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Curious

Curious UKBF Regular Free Member

I had this for a while, it did my head it. That fecking preview window would pop open as soon as you clicked anywhere on the serp. Thankfully I haven't seen it for a while I was hoping it was gone for good!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. UKSBD

UKSBD UKBF Regular Full Member

It's looking more and more like the old searchmash experiments from 2/3 years ago all the time.
  4. Chunkford

Chunkford UKBF Regular Free Member

Also the top 3 PPC have the the option for a preview, while the ones down the right hand side don't.
  5. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Contributor Full Member

I saw it for a bit. They also have a dark line now dividing the top 3 ppc and organic. They are split testing to the extreme.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi Chunkford, I saw <<Link Removed By mods>> - it looks like the version that more people are seeing now involves slightly 'fatter' buttons than when I looked and they've replaced the magnifying glass with arrows. Also the test that I saw strangely put the +1 button within the preview (away from the results) which was strange, but with the new look it seems to be back.

I found my first effective use of instant previews the other day when looking for any website which had a specific photo I was looking for. Gliding from one preview to the other really saved me loads of time rather than clicking on each result. So that's because it's obviously very easy to see the photo in the instant preview.

I'm not quite sure about its effectiveness when it comes to searching for textual content. They've changed the text-preview-snippets to black to make them stand out, but I think it would be even better if they increased the size of the text as well.

Website owners best make sure their website looks nice and clean if this feature is going to get used more, otherwise the number of clicks they get could fall.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mark Reynolds

Google has now announced the full release of this and I've written a <<Link Removed By mods>> which should help you understand what's changed and what it means to website owners. Hope it helps.
  8. UKSBD

UKSBD UKBF Regular Full Member

One little tip for those had hadn't noticed.

The link to the cached snapshot of the page doesn't appear in the SERPs anymore, it does appear above the preview though.

So if you want to see a cached snapshot, just hover over the arrow that reveals preview and you will see the link above the preview screenshot.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  9. marketingquotes

marketingquotes Banned

Did not know this - but cannot think many visitors would preview.

I have had this new view for a few weeks and like others, the preview thing it very annoying as it keeps popping up
  10. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia Banned

I can't see this sticking, it's not helping anyone.
  11. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Regular Full Member

My feedback from consumers is that they really like it. I think it's one of those things like adwords & facebook ads, where business people and pro-internet users don't click and don't understand why people click etc. Yet, amazingly, the general public happily click away all day everyday.
  12. Mark Reynolds

Bit embarrassed that the links I posted to the articles were blocked after being reported by someone as self promotion :( True they were links to an article I wrote myself(!) but it was only because I've already written a lot on the subject which I thought would be useful to others here - and the thread creator thanked me too...

Anyway it's an interesting development by Google, if you fancy reading my thoughts about it, then you can search Google for my name and something like 'Google Instant previews'. I'm not promoting myself or my website (I really don't care about that, just read the text.... ) :) Just wanted to bring value to the community, hopefully I've already done that in this thread.

I don't understand why people would think this improved Google feature isn't helping anyone, for a start it definitely makes it easier to use Google Instant Previews.