My Burger Van Experience help??

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by filmer1991, Nov 16, 2011.

1. filmer1991

filmer1991 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hey, my first time posting so i will keep it short and a sweet

Background

-Im 19 years old
    -Purchased a burgervan around 10 months ago.
    -Put it through the MOT, done some work on it, it passed.
    -DUE to unforseeable circumstances was unable to use the van for around 4 months.

I used the burgervan previously with a friend at local bootfairs, school events ect. Not making much money but breaking even which basically wasn't enough quite obviously. I have the van insured
    of course and i have public liability insurance and food and safety hygiene citificate

I know of this street traders license which i hear so much about, this lets me pick 3 laybys or places on a street which i can park at for i think its £58. This is all well and good but the main reason i bought this van was to park near nightclubs ect. I know its easier said than done, i know i cant just park and start cooking away :eek: ( or can i?)

Basically my question is

BULLET POINTS ON WHAT I NEED TO LEGALLY HAVE A BURGERVAN OUTSIDE A NIGHTCLUB OR JUST IN TOWN.

PLEASE HELP! really appreciate it.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: filmer1991 Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  2. amhsolutions

amhsolutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, do you really want to be outside a night club ? think of all those drunken yobs...

I would approach the night club owner and ask them. offer them a fee.

If it was me, i would be looking for a local layby used by truckers etc.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: amhsolutions Member since: Nov 14, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

I agree, not only will you be a target for drunken louts but you will also alienate the local takeaways who's main business will be from the pubs and clubs.

Also the police will never approve because after people are turffed out after closing time all they want to do is clear the area away as quickly as possible, having you a a burger van there keeping people hanging on is a no go i'm afriad.

Plus i would imagine that the turks that own the Kebab houses whould just let you trade there without a fight.

The council would never approve such an idea and if they did (Very Rarely) the Police would not

So for me the Answer is a big NO!!
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  4. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

And/or one where bikers meet. If you have a regular local bike meet it may well attract a huge number of customers many/most of who will have a burger.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  5. filmer1991

Yeah i do understand that the drunken yobs ect. And also get the police wanting to clear the area. I have heard that people have been known to make between 400-1000 pound outside night clubs.
    I may well have just gotten the wrong end of the stick and they were parked "close" to the night club :|

I guess i'll just look for a possible lay-by or someones private owned road where i could offer a fee.

I think im just going to head to Citizens Advice today and get a checklist on what i definatly need to legally run a burgervan..

Its quite worrying when i look at all the laws that i need to get out and do this van, im afraid when im at bootfairs because im not sure if im breaking a law ?
  6. anna_idsltd

anna_idsltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I suggest you start with the Council, I believe they are the ones who issue the permits wherever you park up
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: anna_idsltd Member since: Nov 1, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. the Chocolate

the Chocolate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Don't worry too much,just get all the information from the council, google them, get the number and ring, they will tell you all you need.
    Good luck.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: the Chocolate Member since: Feb 14, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

Agreed I think you'll be much better speaking with your local council than the CAB.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  9. Neky

Neky UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Also, it depends where you are based. Different councils will have different policies.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: Neky Member since: Nov 3, 2011
  10. marketingquotes

marketingquotes Banned

Some good advice here - talk to the council, see what they say.

You may get grief from the local kebab shop owners, they are territorial and will not approve of competition coming into their area and taking their custom.

Good luck, good to see a 19 year old taking initiative.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: marketingquotes Member since: Jan 14, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. filmer1991

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was offered a spot at B&Q but they want the equivalent of 270 pounds perweek.

Im going to stick to a layby and keep pestering the council to let me park it at a reasonably busy industrial estate :p

The cheap option. It just takes time to all come through
  12. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

I have no idea how the answer the question, but if your near a big(ish) football club, then looking at trying to get a plot on they way to the club on match days, Near Old trafford there are loads of them and seem to do fairly well.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2011 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  13. MrCloser

MrCloser UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Maybe look to catch the lucrative beered-up yobs but close to a busy roundabout area to catch car loads. In time you will become established and punters will come to you.

The night club area seems workable, tip the club owners and/or doormen. At 2am on a weekend the take aways get packed anyway. Every kebab shop has a competitor around the corner, don't let the Turks rule the market.

Bear in mind some takeways are just money laundering front businesses, so
    beware they usually have their own back up and are usually only a phone call away from 20 cabs pulling up in two minutes. That's the way it is here anyway.
    Posted: Dec 9, 2011 By: MrCloser Member since: Aug 2, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. OohMissBeads

OohMissBeads UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, I don't know if you have any near you but there was a couple of burger vans always parked on my uni campus on the student club nights, you might have an easier time trying with those?
    Posted: Dec 10, 2011 By: OohMissBeads Member since: Dec 8, 2011
  15. Websitehandyman

Websitehandyman UKBF Newcomer Full Member

I think you should get on facebook and join any groups with large number that organise event in your area. That way you'll find out about shin digs (I love that word) going on that might be worth turning up for as you'll be the only source of wood and drink. Could be just at the end of a ramble or a music gig who cares as long as the have money.
    Posted: Dec 10, 2011 By: Websitehandyman Member since: Nov 25, 2011
  16. Haunted Worlds

Haunted Worlds UKBF Big Shot Free Member

With regards to the policing etc around night clubs, that I believe is dependant on the kind of night club, the clientel that use the club and the town.

There use to be one outside one of the clubs in Rochdale every Friday & Saturday night. :)
    Posted: Dec 11, 2011 By: Haunted Worlds Member since: Nov 22, 2011