1. Welcome to the new-look UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

MS Office 2010 uninstall problems

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Consultant sea, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Consultant sea

Consultant sea UKBF Contributor Free Member

I'm having a problem uninstalling MS 2010 from my new windows 7 computer. When I go to control panel to uninstall, it reboots the computer and does nothing. If I try and select any options like open Outlook or Word it reboots the computer again.

The reason I'm trying to uninstall is that I initially installed the 32 bit version on the computer which is 64bit. Then I also noticed the computer came with the pre-installed Office trial so it had 2 versions on the computer. I uninstalled the trial ok but can't get the 32bit version off to reinstall the correct 64 bit version.

I'm thinking a piece of software that can remove files/programs from the computer may be what I need.

Anyone come across this before?
  2. dizzysolutions

dizzysolutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Try this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Remove-Office-2010.shtml

You also need to find out why it is rebooting, this could be that your computer is in fact 'blue screening' (windows restarts itself). You could disable 'Automatic Restart' to hopefully find out what is going on:

(Windows XP) Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > (Startup and Recovery) Settings button > Untick Automatically restart

Vista and Windows 7, click 'Advanced Settings' after properties.

Try and uninstall again and hopefully it won't restart.

Alternatively check the eventlog for errors (Start > Run > type eventvwr> Click OK)

You may find you have some file corruption that is causing problems, therefore you could run a checkdisk. Alternatively, if you head over to my website (or download.com) there is my 'Computer MOT' software that will perform this checkdisk and other things that will fix your problem (if it is file corruption).

It's important to check for file corruption because it may cause problems for you later even after you have successfully removed Office with the tool above.

If the above doesn't help, then let us know.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Consultant sea

Thanks for that advice Dizzy. It's a different office to the one I work in so won't be at the computer for another week. I'll try talk staff through it and if that fails work on it myself. I did notice at one stage through the installs and uninstalls that the computer went through a file check on bootup before windows started. I'll let you know if any of the solutions work.
  4. safesys

safesys UKBF Regular Free Member

Use the Office 2010 uninstaller here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Scroll down to the FixIt for Office 2010 (50450) and it should do the job for you. It's worked on every one of my problematic Office 2010 installs so far.

Cheers!

Chris
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Consultant sea

I got them to install the office remover dizzy mentioned. Now it has groove still on the system somewhere stopping the new install. I sent them the ms guide to remove groove but do far no luck.

Would be nice if they could iron out the potential for these type of problems in windows 8.
  6. dizzysolutions

dizzysolutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7. davida

davida UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Here is step

1 Go to the run

2Write -> msconfig

3 system configuration box is open

4 Click on start up

5 Uncheck the MS config.

Restart the system your MS office now uninstall.