mobile phone billing dispute

Discussion in 'Legal' started by maxine, Jul 17, 2008.

1. maxine

maxine UKBF Regular Moderator

Looking for some advice on a billing dispute with large mobile phone network company who I renewed directly with in January for a free evening and weekend call package. They then withdrew the biling tariff a month or so into the 24 month contract without advising me and I have had an ongoing billing dispute with them since.

Having gone through their "complaints review service" they said that they were sorry for withdrawing it, but nothing that they could do now except offer X amount of free minutes and text that I shouldnt go over leaving me with bills of minimal value or near what they would have been around £70 per month. Alternatively they could "release me from my contract" - big deal and totally unfair as I would have gone to another provider who was offering the same sort of deal at the time but now I cannot so have suffered losses etc.

However, I am still getting bills of around £220-£250 per month and their credit control team keep hassling me big time. Their customer services and complaints team are well aware of the issue but dont communicate with the credit control team!!

All of my bills were put on hold from March onwards until they did a full billing review and gave me a new/corrected bill. I have had credit notes through and they are trying to chase me for a payment of £200 for a March bill which was £400 less £200 credit approx but my problem is that I have no itemised call detail to support the £200 balance remaining and I dont want to pay this as I still think it is wrong.

I am at my wits end now - totally incompetent behaviour and want to escalate this to a regulatory body but don't know who is best.... any ideas and suggestions?

I have been on hold now for about 30 mins :( and getting absolutely nowhere.

Thanks
    Max
    Posted: Jul 17, 2008 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  2. maxine

maxine UKBF Regular Moderator

Just an update if anyone is interested

The Telecommunications Ombudsman can be contacted on 0845 050 1614

:)
    Posted: Jul 17, 2008 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  3. CertaxBexley

CertaxBexley UKBF Regular Free Member

You also maybe able to register a complaint with oftel
    Posted: Jul 18, 2008 By: CertaxBexley Member since: Jul 6, 2008
  4. Stonelaughter

Stonelaughter UKBF Regular Free Member

**fixed**

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 By: Stonelaughter Member since: May 16, 2008
  5. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Regular Moderator

Surely if you have no itemised bill to disprove the charges, then they have no proof that you are liable for the charges ever? (Otherwise wouldn't they have to disclose this to you?)

Ask for billing records related to your account to be sent to you, as you wish to have this checked out yourself - why trust them who stuffed it up already? Don't forget to mention that you're deeply unhappy and until now were a very satisfied customer - if no joy ask for the retentions dept. Let the dept know that they have already broken the contract so the ball is in your court. I'd say they won't let you go so easily (despite saying so!), why would they? Over £250 ? Its not worth it.

To let you go now from that contract would be clear case of cutting your nose despite your face. Why bother doing that when the customer will be paying around £70 per month for 24 months.

Ultimately, at some point, when you involve the billing teams, the customer services, the credit dept, the managers because of Ombudsman pressure etc it will reach a point where its now costing them many times more than the sum they wish to recover - and the potential to lose future profits too. At which point I'd expect them to drop the charges, ever that or they've been on a lesson to bankrupt themselves.
    Posted: Jul 18, 2008 By: Subbynet Member since: Aug 1, 2005