Microsoft Office 365 any good?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Idontbuy, May 3, 2013.

1. Idontbuy

Idontbuy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi
    Is anyone using Microsoft office 365 at all and can recommend it or is it not quite there yet?

We have a server in the office and it went down earlier this week for two days and it really scared the pants of us luckily we make backups every day but had an issues with PST. files, so looking for a cloud based system.

Google Docs wont allow us to run the macros in our complex spreadsheets :(

Many thanks
    Pete
    Posted: May 3, 2013 By: Idontbuy Member since: Oct 28, 2008
  2. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

Hi Pete,

365 is a great product for the price, but it is limiting in what it offers, with very little flexibility. If you currently have a server then I'd imagine it would be too limiting for you (it would be a step down in flexibility), and there are concerns over your data being "owned" by Microsoft and therefore subject to the US Patriot Act.

There are other options from UK cloud providers; if you want to discuss options then feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Ryan
    Posted: May 3, 2013 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rydalcommunications

Rydalcommunications UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, we are an office 365 partner and provide the service and set up/training. We Would be happy to give you a trial on the product if its something your interested in.

We use this ourselves and the benefits are endless. We use sharepoint on a big level. Each user within our business has their own "site" within sharepoint.

Lync is also great for staff interacting and works.

If you want a trial give me a pm or call me on 01733 511116. I Will also take you through my 365 set up on the desk top.

Regards

Steffan
    Posted: May 5, 2013 By: Rydalcommunications Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  4. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

I am against Cloud based services for a small company apart from using them as a back up facility

My reasoning is that we have had a number of broadband failures over the last few years all of which have shut down the connections further away than the local exchange

When we get a breakdown we can still keep taking telephone orders and also everyone can keep working, if we relied on a outsourced service leik Office 365 or accounting etc we would be stuffed

Also we take our own backups of critical data every hour automatically and know it's safe and available, Out sourced services like any company is not going to advise you they are going bust and whilst their data is probably safe it could tak quite a whilse to recover if the worst happened

Last with software in my hand i can upgrade if and when I need and let others sort out any bugs, Cloud services normally cost more over two or three years than buying outright including and any support you may have brought with the software

Some industries may well find cloud is for them especially very small companies who do not require24/7 reliability of service
    Posted: May 5, 2013 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  5. Jim2k

Jim2k UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The broadband reliability will always be a consideration for those thinking of embracing the cloud. But specifically for email, its not so much of an issue. If you lost your broadband and had a traditional on site exchange server, you still wouldn't be getting new emails/sending mails. Atleast with hosted exchange/365 you can get your mail on phone or go home and get it etc if broadband goes down.
    Posted: May 5, 2013 By: Jim2k Member since: Apr 21, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Rydalcommunications

Rydalcommunications UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I would advise two connections across two different broadband providers, ie Zen & bt. If its a broadband fault and not the exchange then you have a solution. The cloud is not a cost saving excercise but more importantly a mechanism to improve a business capabilities.

Please don't forget about the 'future', it's only recently that I have been in meetings with the wifi team at O2. The UK will be a huge wifi zone in the future, the 4G network now also gives you tremendous speeds, and with the latest hardware tethering via 4g wont be an issue should your business have broadband issues.

Having a server 'in house' and then using the cloud for remote work is one step forward, however I would consider a plan of action for moving to the cloud within the next 24 months.

Regards
    Steffan
    Posted: May 5, 2013 By: Rydalcommunications Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  7. amac

amac UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Used both Google Apps and Office 365. Microsoft are improving 365 but in terms of functionality and customisation - Google Apps is best. That said, if you are used to the Microsoft ecosystem then there's absolutely nothing against going with 365.
    Posted: May 5, 2013 By: amac Member since: Dec 31, 2011