Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Magento Extensions? Free or paid for?

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by Clodbuster, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Clodbuster

Clodbuster UKBF Regular Full Member

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 By: Clodbuster Member since: Apr 24, 2008
  2. goivvy

goivvy UKBF Contributor Full Member

except your magento version is not 1.6, 1.6.1, 1.6.2.0, 1.7, 1.8 (the free one only supports these versions) no there is not

the free one although has a few bad reviews but still go ahead install and try it out.

do not forget to backup your DB and files before installing it just in case.

UPDATE: just saw a review - the free one works in 1.9.2.1

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 By: goivvy Member since: Nov 29, 2016
  3. Freshwebservices

Freshwebservices UKBF Contributor Free Member

Personally I'd advise against installing any extension on a live site w/o having 1st tested it on a matching dev site.

As for paid vs free - I'd recommend going for paid every time if they offer office hours support.
    Cheers,

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 By: Freshwebservices Member since: Jul 30, 2007
  4. APWTrading

APWTrading UKBF Newcomer Free Member

As a side note to free vs paid, we have and still use a number of fishpig extensions and they are well written and supported

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: APWTrading Member since: Dec 14, 2014
  5. Idosell Shop

Idosell Shop UKBF Regular Free Member

So you mean that Magento extensions might have some issues with code quality? I would go for paid one since there is at least someone to point out the responsibility- I would also suggest having a limited number of extension providers due to higher possible interoperability among them. I would suggest such approach not only with Magento but also with other os-commerce platforms.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: Idosell Shop Member since: Dec 2, 2016
  6. makeusawebsite

makeusawebsite UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Free extensions can be, sometimes just as good as a paid alternative. However, as mentioned above, always install with caution on a dev site, not onto your live site.

Also, remember with a free extension;

* There probably will be no after-support.
    * You often get what you pay for.

If you go with a paid extension, try to stick to one of the developers who has good reviews for service and support.

hat your trying to do can be accomplished from a DB query.... so unless this is a regular task you might want to consider doing so rather than adding an overhead to your site.

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 By: makeusawebsite Member since: Jan 23, 2011