General Business Forum Brought to you by 9 Spokes
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Looking for a less stressful career

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Rob-B, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Rob-B

Rob-B UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I am thinking of looking into another job, as my office job is rather stressful. I have tried

• Freelancing as a developer - it was enjoyable, I did find it rather difficult to get continuous work.
    • Car Valeting
    • Painting and Decorating
    • Buying and Selling on eBay
    I was thinking of starting Car Valeting again, but I was thinking about a unit, I used to have a van but it was always an idea to look at a unit.

Any other options that I could try. I enjoy my job, but I find working with the management difficult.

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 By: Rob-B Member since: Apr 25, 2014
  2. ChrisRM

ChrisRM UKBF Contributor Free Member

Are there any competitors or similar companies you can join that would offer you a similar role?

If you are having problems with the people you work with but are content with the job itself, then it seems like you should look at other employers in the first instance.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: ChrisRM Member since: Oct 28, 2016
  3. Brennerz

Brennerz UKBF Regular Free Member

Perhaps look at the reasons why your job is stressful, how could you change it. I'm not sure starting a business will be less stressful?

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: Brennerz Member since: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Always a bad reason to change career as others have said. It really is avoidance on a grand scale. deal with the issues at your work head on and one-by-one. The same problems that you are facing now, will almost certainly follow you to whatever job or career you chose as an alternative with you avoid them now.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  5. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

Head over to liveyourlegend and see if you can't find, within you, the direction you need to find a job you truly love. Suddenly then the stress 'feels' much less, you sleep better and you know that you're making a difference, rather than than making someone else rich for only one reason, the pursuit of the Pound.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  6. tonymac84

tonymac84 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

@Rob-B if you're still keen on the car valeting route, I know of a successful business that targets industrial estates. He has a van and used to do everyone's car in our unit in an afternoon. It's convenient for customers because they don't need to be without their car. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: tonymac84 Member since: Dec 7, 2016
  7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

I like stress and would go so far as to say that I thrive on it. In fact, I find a lack of stress stressful and need to liven things up a little with some risk.

If you don't like stress, don't start your own business! Nothing is quite as stressful as not knowing if you can pay all the bills at the end of the month.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Big Shot Free Member

I agree some fear the uncertainty of the unknown
    Some love the excitement of the unknown
    If you don't want the stress don't run a business

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Rob-B

Thanks for the advice, I have started to look for a new job, in the same field. See what comes from that. I have always fancied something different, but I suppose you would need the cash in order to try it, and see how it works out which is not possible at the moment.

The career is good, it is just mainly the upper management that are hard to deal with, lack of organisation, no structure, lack of skill and ability to manage project etc.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 By: Rob-B Member since: Apr 25, 2014
  10. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Big Shot Free Member

What are you worried about
    I don't get this thing with employed people
    Everybody else is useless and cant do nothing right and your worried about it
    What are you worried about no matter what goes wrong you still get paid !
    You can @@@@ everything up and all that will happen is they will ask you to leave . Not only that they will probably pay you until the end of the week !

Get too relaxed in a business about things and you could lose everything you ever owned !

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  11. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

I have a very useful
    Car Washing and Valeting Service - Profile fact sheet (s) if you are interested? I cannot post the link only forward a copy, it explains all that is required, responsibility, useful links, insurances, associations, and much more...

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  12. webprojectuk

webprojectuk UKBF Regular Free Member

Before you jump to another venture write down all the reasons you don't like your current position. Following this write down everything you want to achieve from your work life. For example it might be that you want to work from 8am-2pm, maybe you want more time at the gym, maybe you want to spend more time with people and so on. Every morning and night read them! Refocus your brain on what you want to achieve and try to find a position which will meet all of your goals. I hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 By: webprojectuk Member since: Jul 8, 2006
  13. Rob-B

@JEREMY HAWKE I know you mean, but it is just hard working with people, that cause stress and anxiety, as they are not easy to work with, not organised etc. Because they are the upper management, they are employed to keep everything running smoothly. I know I still get paid at the end of the month, go home and forget about it and all that I get it.

Its just frustrating as I enjoy the field of work, just not the people I work with, its not as if getting a job in a similar company would change that. Also you cant really say it how it is to your manager, as really would lose my job.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 By: Rob-B Member since: Apr 25, 2014
  14. Rob-B

That would be brilliant that valeting stuff, at least then I could have a look at whats involved.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 By: Rob-B Member since: Apr 25, 2014