1. Welcome to the new-look UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Licences required for opening deli

Discussion in 'Legal' started by stuart bloomsbury, Apr 15, 2012.

1. stuart bloomsbury

stuart bloomsbury UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi, I would like some advice on what licences I would need to open a deli type farm shop, which would be selling organic and good quality produce like veg and vacuum packed meat (no open preparation of meat on the premises), cakes, drinks etc to the public direct.

I have filled in a Registration of Food Business Establishment form on business link, but am unsure as to what other licenses I need other than a Personal Licence for the Sale of Alcohol. It would have a small element of sandwich bar type use, but not sufficient to take it beyond an A1 use.

Any help much appreciated.
  2. OnCoreCreative

OnCoreCreative UKBF Newcomer Free Member

UK law requires registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures). It involves completing a very simple form which details of the name, address, type of food business, the foods handled, the name of the proprietor, address of head office or registered office, number of people engaged in the food business and whether or not it is a seasonal business.

Also I know that you will need food hygeine also.

Additional licenses will be needed for sale of alcohol, late night opening and such like. Your local council will ve able to help.

If you run or intend to start up a business (food business establishment) which handles food of animal origin and you supply/sell to another business (another establishment), you may need to be approved rather than be registered.

Food of animal origin would include:

Fresh meat
    Minced meat
    Fish and fishery products
    Milk and dairy products
    Egg and egg products
    Cooked meat products (such as pies, ready meals etc)
    Meat preparations (such as sausages, kebabs etc)
    Shellfish
    Mechanically separated meat
    Shellfish
    Rendered animal products

It is important to note that if you ONLY sell direct to the final consumer, in other words to the person who is going to consume the food, then you do not need to be approved. This would include activities such as: restaurants, catering operations, retails shops such as supermarkets, public houses, factory/office canteens, wholesale outlets etc.

Hope this helps you out and good look.
  3. stuart bloomsbury

Ahh, thanks thats so helpful. We have now applied for:

Registration of Food Business Establishment
    Premises Licence (for which a Personal Licence will also be required)

I cant find however the hygiene one, the business link website only lists 'food premises approval', 'meat premises approval' and 'registration of food business establishment' as the food hygiene licences that apply to us? The food premises approval one only applies to business to business meat as you state.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. OnCoreCreative

No problem I am glad to help, can you not phone your Local Authority Licensing Department to find out. Your best bet would be to do this.
  5. stuart bloomsbury

I will on Monday, thanks for the help in the meantime mate.
  6. OnCoreCreative

No problem, pleasure was mine.

I have just spoken to a friend of mine, he said he thinks you would have to do a 2 day course in food hygiene to get a certificate but again if you contact them on Monday they will be able to help you further, unless someone comments before hand.