1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Legalities of distributing leaflets in local town centre?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Keely, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Keely

Keely UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi

Me and my partner are looking to distribute leaflets in our local town centre but were unsure of the legalities..if any?

Would really appreciate it if someone could set ours minds at rest before we run our first trial...?

Regards
  2. Gratis Guidance

Gratis Guidance UKBF Contributor Free Member

Leaflet distribution is something that the local council get involved with - it sometimes needs some kind of advertising licensing, depending on how they define it.

There shouldn't actually be any issue with handing out leaflets, but some councils have town centre managers who have been known to give start ups unwarranted hassle!

Generally, the best practice is to offer, but not force leaflets on people. Don't stick them on cars - that could get you in big trouble!

Pitching can also wind some people up - again, its a council by council thing!

The rule I tend to use is don't ask too many questions, sometimes looking for permission can wake a monster!

hope this helps!
  3. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Regular Free Member

4. letterboxunlimited

letterboxunlimited UKBF Contributor Free Member

Every local council has its own rules and regulations but most of the time not even the local wardens seem to have any idea of what should be going on.

Your best bet would be to contact a local distribution company who will know the rules and keep you above board. Otherwise I suggest a good pair of trainers for a sharp exit :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. guscat

guscat UKBF Contributor Free Member

I have been here before - lots of council red tape - HOWEVER - do not despair...

I got round this quite easily using 3 methods...

1. Many Gloucester store managers let me hand out leaflets in their stores (on specific days at specific times), Some shops I had to negotiate with (some money, others some freebies, other shops wanted nothing) - Local supermarkets are good for footfall - set up a meeting with the manager and pitch....We had 11 stores say yes out of about 20. Very succesful sessions in FOCUS DIY, ASDA etc (measured by voucher redemptions)

2. I also got my leaflets distributed in the city centre (bypass council red tape) by THE TOWN CRIER. Not only did he hand them out, but shouted our company name everywhere - wow. Cost us I think £250 approx for half a day, but worth every penny, and a good way round the restrictions.

3. Liaise with the manager of local shopping centres. The manager of a shopping centre agreed to let us have a stand in the shopping centre for FREE (But we 'donated' some freebies')- and because it's indoors, not on the streets, again bypasses all council red tape.

I hope that has helped? GOOD LUCK :)
  6. guscat

guscat UKBF Contributor Free Member

On a serious note, doing a runner will not help as you will get a FINE for every flier the council finds on the ground! - I take it the flier has your contact details on!?!
  7. Graham001

Graham001 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Dont worry about it......there is always some rule that is set up to stop business.... just go for it...