Legal requirement - House name / number

Discussion in 'Legal' started by geoffb, Feb 17, 2011.

1. geoffb

geoffb UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi
    I am currently having a dispute with a customer who has had parcelforce try to deliver a parcel to her twice.

Her house is part of a farm, and although it has a name, she has actually told me that the name isn't displayed anywhere. (so how she expects her parcel to arrive is beyond me)

I beleive that it is a legal requirement for a house to show its name or number - but I can't find a link to this in writing, apart from vauge references to it.

Does anyone have a link where there is a document that states ... you must show ..... etc

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: geoffb Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  2. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

My house doesn't display a name or number. Never been an issue to us (anyone wants to find us, we say "next to the butchers").

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  3. akirk

akirk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

absolute nonsense - who dreamed up that idea... having to display a name or number - enxt you will want all houses in nice neat rows ;) I would expect local couriers / delivery people to know an area. - if not they can try asking! i am sure that the post code only takes them to the farm - not difficult then to find the house.

Alasdair

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: akirk Member since: Jul 1, 2010
  4. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

I don't think it is a legal requirement, but it ought to be.

For example in Italy every plot of land or dwelling seems to have a minimum sized white plaque with black numbers on at a height that can be read from a van vindow.

In this country people whose houses have both names & numbers should be made to give out the number as well as the name. Finding Dunroamin is a lot easier (and therefore more likely to be achieved) if you know it is between number 279 and 283 on a 3 mile stretch of road road :D :D

There are some villages spread out over 5 miles of roads in North Yorkshire where NONE of the houses have numbers, but the postman has spent time & effort in drawing out a plan of the village and fastened it up in the pub porch or bus shelter.:cool:

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  5. akirk

ahhh - but those of us who live in the country like not to be found!
    many of the locals do not know where my house is - but all the courier drivers are trained! (they even take time out to tell their replacements!)
    they will also track you down - I have had parcels delivered to me in a field when my signature was needed...
    Alasdair

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  6. roydmoorian

Forget about legal requirements - But if you want your package to arrive at its correct destination then ask the customer if there are any special details that anyone other than the regular postie would need.

Consider fastening a plan / map on to the package.

AND................................

ALWAYS write a delivery contact telephone number on the package.

7. arcon5

arcon5 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

A couple of couriers have moaned at me for not putting the right business name on parcels to be delvered to high street address as they "drove past me" or "couldn't find me" the day before. So if couriers can't even figure out where 372 is (to the right of 371 and left of 373 ? Or type it in to your sat nav and it pin points the address shockingly accurately), how they can be expected to find a house with no name or number is beyond me.

It seems pretty silly though not have a house name or number :|

Is the item being returned to you? If so I assume the dispute is with who pays the second delivery charge?
    Unfortunately it is the sellers responsibilty :mad:

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: arcon5 Member since: Sep 6, 2006
  8. roydmoorian

Well there are 40 addresses at yor postcode.

So which one is yours - the one with the porthole windows and the arched porch ? Or are you hiding behind The George ? :D :D

9. akirk

Ahhh - now that would be telling ;)

My house has one postcode, my drive another - and Google won't help you identify it!

Alasdair

10. geoffb

geoffb UKBF Regular Free Member

If the courier returns the goods back to us, I shall simply refund the persons money, and tell them to go elsewhere.

The farm has 8 buildings, to be honest - if I was delivering, I would be annoyed too. to drive to the middle of nowhere then get there and find no house names or numbers, because the person doesn't want to put it on the gate.

Ive even street viewed it, and can't find the premises !

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: geoffb Member since: Nov 6, 2008