Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Leaflet drop

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by AaronPollock, Nov 13, 2008.

1. sineadnorton

sineadnorton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Any leaflets we deliver, my husband goes with one team, and I go with another. We use this to promote our own business and so every one has to go through the door, the point is to gain customers.

As someone pointed out, some larger companies are not bothered about small quantities. We are the opposite, large quantites are not our business, we generally take 5000 leaflets maximum at a time.

Leaflet printing has become so expensive too, this used to be a cheap way of getting your point across. The fact that leaflets are more expensive means that dumping them would be an atrocity.

As I said before, we are in Mid Ulster. Anyone familiar with this area will be aware that there are no built up areas like Belfast or Antrim or even Coleraine. We cover all the wee villages like Coagh, Pomeroy, Moneymore, Desertmartin. Not many other companies do. We cover "every hole in the hedge" we go door to door, business to business, there is no other way. We put posters up and give out business cards if necessary. We also don't overload people, too many leaflets at a time is no good.

Thanks

Sinead

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 By: sineadnorton Member since: Nov 11, 2009
  2. superstardj

superstardj UKBF Newcomer Free Member

HI Sinead,

Just to let you know we use kaizenprint.co.uk for our flyers as they are really cheap for small runs of flyers.

We just ordered 5000 A6s for £125.

The cheapest we were quoted elsewhere was £185. What???

Anyway if it helps they were very helpful as we hadn't a clue what we needed

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 By: superstardj Member since: Nov 16, 2009
  3. SmilePrint

SmilePrint UKBF Regular Free Member

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  4. superstardj

superstardj UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hey Brendan thats a great price from your company

Our flyers ordered were on 350gsm silk. Yours seem to be 170gsm. Can you match their price as we'd certainly have a chat with you down the line.

Delivery was also free with those guys btw. The guy from the company was able to deliver them in the evening as we were in work all day (and we were promoting our new venture and dont want the boss to know)

Cheers for the info. I compare your prices and bear your company in mind next time.

Thanks

DJ

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 By: superstardj Member since: Nov 16, 2009
  5. SmilePrint

Odd, as their site quotes £125 for 170gsm, and £145 for 350gsm?

And thats still without UK mainland delivery, never mind Northern Ireland Delivery, (which this thread refers to).

Yes DJ would love to talk if you're ordering this type of thing regular, (you'll find our webprice of £149 inc delivery fairly competitive for 300 or 350gsm)

I'd be able to do you one of our special deals on 250gsm gloss for under £100, including delivery, if you're really interested to do business.

Regards

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  6. sineadnorton

Hi there

what a pity that so many big companies like those mentioned already have given leaflet distributors a bad name, we have delivered about 38000 in the last month, just over a 1000 per day with my husband, family and some people who work with us.

We have sectioned it into different postcodes, business to business if customers want it, or just home to home, and have walked all areas keeping a record of all streets, never asked for a payment upfront and had no problem gettinig paid. We didn't plan on doing this as a full time job, but as a way of paying for our own leaflets to go out.

One customer rang to say he had a brilliant response in our area already, and I was so please after reading about the reputation of other companies much more dedicated than us. But as I said, we only used family and all went together in teams, and when we used staff, we were all in a team, e.g. I did one side of a street and she did the other - not rocket science!

Yes my legs ached, I have been chased by dogs, I hate low letterboxes, have learned how to hurdle over hedges and fences, been boiling hot with cold fingers at the same time, but it is a great way to exercise and get the message about our business across.

We had out flyers (very budget - we a cleaning business) printed £40 for 1000. We put out 5000 of our own inf the first week and doubled the turnover in one week. not hard though as we had been very slow for about a month. That is the good thing about leaflet drops- if it is done right, you can get instant success! Hence we had to deliver flyers at teatime for a few hours very day, but this was a great time too as people were alerted to the post box at an unusual time of day! And probably after a hard day's work and they couldn't be bothered cleaning!

So the basic message is that not every person is a conman.

Sinead

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: sineadnorton Member since: Nov 11, 2009
  7. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

so rather than run your business you can afford to spare the time to post thousands of leaflets?

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  8. sineadnorton

On the basis that we were putting the time to put our own leaflets out, we asked local business if they also would appreciate this service. We asked them face to face and they knew where our laundry shop was so we were not some unknown.

During the month of November, our cleaning and ironing business is generally very slow, as people tend to keep their money for Xmas. This is a good time to plan a leaflet drop for December, as whenever people get into Xmas mode, they suddenly want the work done and so we knew we needed to capitalise on this. We also have very good and reliable staff to pay we look after them so they always do a great job. Our business is not one for the faint hearted, it can be very heavy going and keeping staff that are willing to do the work is very important. So I asked them if they would be willing to do some leafleting and they agreed.

We got a good response from local businesses about the leafleting and 1000 - 1500 per day between me, my husband, 3 teenage daughters after school, 1 brother and law and 2 full time members of staff doesn't take any more than a few hours at a time, and we could fit it in between bookings. Not that we are very busy (as our own drop brought plenty of business) we do it at dinnertime in the evening, which I think is even better!

I have 6 children, work 8-6 Monday to Friday, have been out delivering leaflets between 11 and 4 today and believe that being proactive is much better than sitting waiting on the business coming to you.

With wages, rent and rates, water rates, electricity etc etc to pay, providing this service for local businesses was a great way to raise the cash. When my business became busy again, I found it unethical to say that I couldn't complete the drop as I was too busy, hence we do it at night and weekends. We don't do this all the time, and we have 5000 left this week which are all business to business and once we complete this, we will have fulfilled our obligations and lined up enough work for ourselves for January. However, if business became quiet again, it would be definitely something I would consider doing again. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I have had the ironing and laundry business for over 5 years, I started it from home and 2 years ago was so busy I had to move it to a premises. However the economic climate is one that is very unpredicatable. We generally are busy from April to October but this sometimes is not enough.

9. sineadnorton

swift cleaning and ironing services
    1c 5 Smith Street, Moneymore BT45 7PF

10. SmilePrint

You're a little sharp and presumptious MASSEY.

To answer your post - I find it a good use of some of my time to manage a system for delivering thousands of leaflets properly and not getting stiffed by a glamorous looking company.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  11. SmilePrint

Well done Sinead! Good on you for taking the initiative.

I'll talk to you if I've any work in your area.

regards

Brendan

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  12. sineadnorton

Thanks Brendan

We appreciate the reason why businesses put out leaflets in the first place - to promote business, to bring in new customers etc. It does work, but only if they get put out!

Sinead

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: sineadnorton Member since: Nov 11, 2009
  13. Innovate Northern Ireland

Innovate Northern Ireland UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What about Royal Mail, are they trustworthy?

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 By: Innovate Northern Ireland Member since: Oct 7, 2009
  14. LocalLawyerNI

LocalLawyerNI UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

NI Post are presently doing a flyer drop for us in the Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus areas: they are brilliant - we get updates by e-mail as they do each area and we know that they are being delivered because we're getting calls. They're also printing the flyers for us and the price for printing and delivering 30,000 flyers is absolutely fantastic - must be unbeatable for the service.

Hope this helps. As far as Royal Mail goes, they hardly seem to be able to deliver mail at times, much less flyers!

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 By: LocalLawyerNI Member since: Nov 9, 2009
  15. Innovate Northern Ireland

Innovate Northern Ireland UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thanks for the response, I've emailed them

Unfortunately their website wasn't very helpful - its under construction

As I'm waiting for their emailed response - Any ideas how much they would charge for delivery of 10,000 leaflets

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 By: Innovate Northern Ireland Member since: Oct 7, 2009
  16. LocalLawyerNI

Not sure since we opted for A6 colour postcards, but Contact details for Roisin Donnelly the owner are: NI Post Sales
    36-37 Townsend Street Belfast
    BT13 2ES

Business: 028 9024 6002
    Mobile: 077 9121 0002

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 By: LocalLawyerNI Member since: Nov 9, 2009
  17. SmilePrint

Just heard the Belfast co. mentioned early in this thread has gone BUST.

Anyone hear similar?

They'll not be missed if their reputation was anything to go by.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  18. LocalLawyerNI

I note the comments above. For the purposes of clarification to forum users, business seems fine at NI Post. I would be delighted to hear of the demise however of another company mentioned early on in the forum, since I used them five years ago and now believe that they never delivered a single item.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: LocalLawyerNI Member since: Nov 9, 2009
  19. SmilePrint

Yes Philip,

no disparagment intended toward NI Post.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: SmilePrint Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  20. Lencastle

Lencastle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I know a local company that deliver all over Northern Ireland. It's a small company but very reliable as I have used them before.

Message me and I'll see if I can get the details for you.

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 By: Lencastle Member since: Feb 10, 2010