1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by stugster, Feb 27, 2007.

1. stugster

stugster UKBF Regular Free Member

I've just been shown this website from one of my colleagues, and I have to say, I've used it about 4 times in the past 24 hours!

Just sharing my wealth of useful? knowledge with everyone! If it makes someone's day easier (or cheaper!) then my job is done!

http://www.SayNoTo0870.co.uk

Stuart. x
  2. leemason

leemason UKBF Regular Full Member

Yes. I know that many businesses are switching away from 0870 and even 0845. I have had to do this on a couple of occassions recently.
  3. stugster

stugster UKBF Regular Free Member

Well we're with Telewest/Virgin/NTL.... well not BT anyway, and we get unlimited telephone calls to any geographical number in the UK. (numbers beginning 01 and 020 i think), so phoning an 0870 is quite annoying.

:)
  4. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

Yes, it's been discussed here before, but a reminder for those unaware is no bad thing.

As I am now getting totally free landline calls via voipcheap.com, the 8p/min for 0870 hurts. I'm thinking of putting a bar on dialling 0870, so a few suppliers that don't give us a geographic number are going to lose business.
  5. asonda

asonda UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

I know the costs for phoning one of these is quite alot, what about the people that trade from home and don't want their home number publushed everywhere?

Jamie
  6. cjd

cjd UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

0870 as a free number will disapear in January as the revenue share form them will be removed. 03 will be introduced as a non-geographical number charged at normal national rates.

People will need to migrate to other revenue share numbers, abandon the 'free' 0870 number or pay a rental for it.

It's going to be a real mess but it needed doing - 0870 has become a fraud

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numbering03/summary/
  7. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

And not only 0870.

Voipfone, for example, charge 4 times as much for an 0845 number as a geographic one, which is in line with most suppliers.

But it's going to take some education. Just last week I was talking to Customer Services at a telecoms supplier (not voipfone), and when I objected to an 0845 number to fax an instruction to them, I was told "don't worry it's only the same as a local call". Their tariff, and I would be using their service, shows otherwise.

Why are Ofcom useless?
  8. cjd

cjd UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

I agree, O845 is also a scam.

Its original use was to allow customers to call a number at local rates no matter where they are in the UK. It had a point when a local call cost a lot less than a national call and both where expensive. But today distance is not a cost - we carry a call to Australia or Liverpool for 1p - the reason 0845 is so expensive is because it is another revenue share scam with all sorts of people taking a chunk of revenue out of it at several point for no apparent reason other than they can. The telecom world is akin to banking - it stinks.

FYI our pricing is a simple markup on what we are charged to have the call delivered into the BT (or other) network. You would be frightened by how small that mark-up is.

The only numbers I now recommend are 0800 and geographic.

The new 03 numbers may be ok.

Why are Ofcom useless? You aint seen nothing yet. The Regulation of VoIP statement was due last November, then December, then January, then February, now March - when it arrives it will invlove things that make me angry just to think about.

You would not believe the Alice in Wonderland world those people live in. They are some of the most intelligently stupid people you'll ever meet.
  9. gingerdad

gingerdad UKBF Regular Free Member

Say no to 0870 is a great site, i now don't phone or deal with any business that i can't get a real phone number for. if companies want to rip you off before you start dealing with them then whats the point in trying.

So the sooner they get rid of the National Rate and Local Rate con the better

Regards

GD