Accounts & Finance Brought to you by Start Up Loans
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

How To Make A Ltd Company Dormant

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by sirgeordie, Feb 5, 2008.

  1. sirgeordie

    sirgeordie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 1 Likes: 0
    Hey there - I've been reading this forum for a short while now and taking advantage of the free advice :cool: thanks a lot for the help so far, however I've decided to register and ask a question.

    I set up a limited company a few weeks ago, however haven't traded under that name yet. The company simply is the same name as I had when I was sole trading but with the Ltd on, however going limited was a bad idea for me. I've been reading other related posts, however can't seem to find the answer to the following question: how do I make my Ltd company dormant?

    I'm hoping it's just a simple matter of ceasing trading, however I'll be trading under the name without the Ltd on and was wondering if that will impact anything. Being honest, I simply liked the idea of it all - the money that is getting made isn't really worth forming a proper company for!

    Would I have to register as a sole trader once more? I know that a Ltd company is classed as an individual rather than being a part of me (as a director), so I was wondering what the legalities are.

    Thanks a lot!

    Posted: Feb 5, 2008 By: sirgeordie Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  2. PI Guy

    PI Guy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 2,497 Likes: 191
    Matters Leading up to dormant company status

    Preparing final trading accounts

    • Use the company’s usual accounting reference date.
    • Companies House expects accounts made up to the usual financial year end, regardless of the date that the company actually ceased trading within the year.
    Pay final Corporation Tax

    • File final trading accounts with the corporation tax inspector
    • Provide final corporation tax return (form CT600) with computation.
    • Following agreement and settlement of the final corporation tax assessment, advise the corporation tax inspector that the company is now dormant.
    Close payroll

    • Close the payroll scheme by notifying the Inspector that trading has now ceased and there are no employees.
    • The Inspector of Taxes dealing with the payroll affairs will then issue a final form P35 for the current tax year ended on the following 5 April. This form should be completed without delay and filed together with any associated P14’s, P11D, etc.
    Close bank accounts

    • All interest bearing bank accounts should be closed
    • It may be desirable to close any non interest bearing current accounts, in order to avoid bank correspondence/statements being issued.
    Terminate accountant services

    • Advise your company accountant and let any other professional acting for company know that any ongoing services/agreements are to be terminated while the company is dormant.
    Matters Arising During Dormant Company Period

    Companies House

    • Even though the company is dormant, an Annual Return must be filed at Companies House together with the £15 fee.
    • Complete a dormant Companies House form (DCA), made up to the usual accounting reference date.
    Registered Address

    • The company will need to maintain a registered office address, which can be either your home address or your accountant’s office address.
    • Companies House will need to be advised if there are any changes in the company director or secretary’s circumstances, by filing the appropriate change of director/secretary form (form 288C), which can be downloaded from the Companies House website.
    Cease Trading

    • It is important to ensure that the company does not undertake even a single trading transaction, including receipt of bank interest or revenue generating transaction.
    • Any such transactions occurring would require full trading accounts to be filed and the corporation tax return made to HMRC.
    Posted: Feb 5, 2008 By: PI Guy Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  3. Kent Accountant

    Kent Accountant UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 1,998 Likes: 161
    Sorry Scott but this post is a little confusing :|

    Have you ceased trading as a self employed individual?

    Have you started trading as a limited company? If so, what have you actually done?

    SALINV's comments are more relevant if you have actually traded although there are a couple of inaccuracies, but from your OP it is not totally clear if the company has in fact commenced trading

    Posted: Feb 5, 2008 By: Kent Accountant Member since: May 30, 2006