How do you get a free listing in Yell.com?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by patchie, Oct 7, 2010.

1. patchie

patchie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, as the question asks really!

I have got in touch with them, but they just try to sell me £100's worth of advertising, which as a new business we just can't afford!
    I'm sure I have read recently that you can have a free listing? How do you go about doing this without speaking to some pushy sales person?
    Many thanks in advance! x :)
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: patchie Member since: Sep 23, 2010
  2. the locksmith

the locksmith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Have a look at :- http://www.yelldirect.com/internetadvertising/standardlistings/

Don't let them push you into anything else if all you want is a free listing.

Yell are desperate for business at the moment and will tell you all sorts of things just to get you to sign up to a DD. Their share price has fallen from about 59p down to about 15p since April.There are quite a few threads on here re Yellow Pages / Yell.com etc and you just have to read them to see that things are not good and that many long term customers (myself included) are not happy.
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: the locksmith Member since: Mar 31, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Moderator

I thought Yell have now said no more free listings? or did I hear it worng :(
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  4. the locksmith

the locksmith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

OWG,
    The link still seems to work ... I think they are so hard up that they are willing to take on the free listing in the hope that you will convert to paid stuff. I think the free listings are going to be in the back of the book and not interlaced (as at present) with the paid stuff. The Yell.com site has plently free listing still showing.
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: the locksmith Member since: Mar 31, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. patchie

patchie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thank you, thats great :D
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: patchie Member since: Sep 23, 2010
  6. altwebdesign

altwebdesign UKBF Newcomer Full Member

this is going to be the biggest headache you will have towards the end of this year. Trust Me.
    Your phone will start ringing it will either be:
    A, yell sales rep who will ring you until you sign up and then not contact you once they have your cash
    B, someone from another book or magazine who wants you to advertise with them
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: altwebdesign Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  7. Rainbow Chasers'

Rainbow Chasers' UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Yes, been there and had that!

Funniest one was their 'Update...check your details are still the same etc'

The girl sounded like she was a) Dead b) Asleep C) Cutting her wrists at the time. She spoke so slowly, I thought there really was something wrong!

I did refrain from ringing Yell, and telling them that one of their operators was dead or dying, and sugest they go help her - couldn't be bothered to waste a phone call!
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: Rainbow Chasers' Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  8. altwebdesign

altwebdesign UKBF Newcomer Full Member

An absolute joke, apparantly my message has been passed on to the sales division and sales division manager, i cant figure out whats wrong with these people.

My sales person was lovely as well, started telling me how old she was just encase i was wandering, a right old flirt.
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 By: altwebdesign Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  9. Tee100

Tee100 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

you can register for a free line entry

This forum will not let me post the link but if you search for "Yell direct" you will see a link to a free "standard listing"

You don't get a line entry in your classification in the book anymore, but you will get a listing in the back of the book and also on Yell.com.

you may occasionally get a sales call but it's up to you if you choose further advertising.
    Posted: Nov 6, 2010 By: Tee100 Member since: Nov 6, 2010
  10. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Newcomer Full Member

well i just submitted yell and thompson free listings to help my google places.

I imagine ii will have to fob off commission hungry sales reps now.
    Posted: Nov 6, 2010 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  11. kontracta_com

kontracta_com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I had two calls from them in the space of an hour once. When I told the second person that I'd just been spoken to, she did seem more interested in finding out who I'd spoken to before as I think that someone had strolled onto her patch.

We now recognise the number whenever they call so may sometimes accidentally fail to pick up the phone in time.

I guess that is the consideration in return for a free listing though.
    Posted: Nov 6, 2010 By: kontracta_com Member since: Jun 8, 2010
  12. Mike W

Mike W UKBF Newcomer Full Member

The free listing is a complete waste of time nowadays. You're lumped in at the back of the book, listed alphabetically, based only on the name of your business. Nothing to do with your trade or industry at all.

So, unless someone knows your name you are stuffed ....and if they do know your name, why look in Yell?
    Posted: Nov 6, 2010 By: Mike W Member since: Aug 19, 2010