1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

How do you find out who owns a business?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by SillyJokes, Mar 31, 2005.

1. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Regular Free Member

I need to find out who actually owns a business I am interested in.

I can find out the names of various accountants who are directors and secretaries from Companies House, but how do you find who really owns it?
  2. Rob Holmes

Rob Holmes UKBF Regular Free Member

Do you mean how do you find a shareholders name for a limited company?

I don't know the answer but I need to know as well!

Anyone?

Rob
  3. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Regular Full Member

It depends on why you are looking. If you are looking at sourcing the decision maker then the directors are the people you need to know about. They make contracts on behalf of the company and are responsible for most decisions involving the company.

If it is a close company and the directors also own the company (ie have shares in the company) that information is normally shown on the first page of the accounts except if it is a small company in which case there is no such requirement

To find out the directors and shareholders yo can purchase the information which will be held on the annual return for a small fee.

It may be that Ozzy or Mike sell the info.
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

As Alan says, it depends on why you need that information. In my signature you'll see a link to Quick Credit Reports.
    This service that I offer allows you to do a detailed search on a company and where available shows you the owners/shareholders of the company. A basic search is only £8 so give it a try and see if that tells you what you need to know. If you have any questions just call 0845 003 2233 and someone will be able to help.

BTW - My company watching service is as good as live :)
  5. SillyJokes

If I told you why I needed the information I would have to kill you.

Basically I think someone is hiding their interest in a company because it would be a conflict of interest and I need to have some proof of my suspicions because I already feel negatively.

If it can be shown I am wrong I will be a happier person than if I am proved right.
  6. Ozzy

Well if they are a director or shareholder of the company then a company search which I can provide will tell you this. My Sales Analysis reports also show key management personnel in a company, but this relies on Experian holding that data.

Other than that, we used to have a private investigator on these forums but he long since disappeared :(
  7. Rob Holmes

I need it (I think) as I've just purchased some shares from another shareholder and I wanted to see if there was anywhere official I needed to register the purchase.
    I've been told that because I have a signed transfer form (1 spelling mistake in the address) and share certificate this is enough.

Any ideas?

Rob
  8. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Regular Full Member

Matrix

You shouldnt need that info.

The signed transfer form needs to be stamped (There is stamp duty to pay on the purchase of shares) and returned to the Company secretary to register the transfer and supply you with a share certificate.
  9. Ozzy

Alan is right, so long as the stock transfer form is stamped by the inland revenue and lodged in the company register, the comp sec then issues you a share certificate.
    Once the next annual return is filed your share holding will be registered at Companies House.
  10. Rob Holmes

hmm - the forms not stamped as the shares were technocally sold for £1

Does that matter?

Rob
  11. Ozzy

That being the case then the minimal stamp duty i sstill required to be paid, being £5 - so it should be stamped.
  12. Ian J

Ian J UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

I accept your terms so please tell my mother in law :D
  13. Ozzy

:LOL: ROFL
    Now that is funny!
  14. SillyJokes

SillyJokes - Fancy Dress, Practical Jokes, Gag gifts and Mother-in-laws disposed of at reasonable prices.