Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Hello All, Website build query

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by Sha.Daly, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Sha.Daly

Sha.Daly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I am having a website built on Magento by web creation UK ( bad call on my part :()
    I have insisted they return the website to me so I can get a new web developer to complete it and sort the glitches.
    I know nothing about this kind of technical stuff. Is it possible? or will the person who designed it originally be the only one who can change things?
    I paid extra for a loyalty reward scheme along with API intergration from our couriers ( parcelforce)
    Do I need to give up on the idea of getting someone else to take over?

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 By: Sha.Daly Member since: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Provided that web creation uk did not encrypt their work, other developers can work with it.

Having said that, taking on a half finished project is tough as the dev taking it on has to retrace what's been done and work with somebody else's coding structure (which may or may not be easy depending on how well they followed best practice).

So it's possible provided the code is not encrypted, but the developer may be a bit wary and you will need to allow the dev time to get familiar with your project.

3. makeusawebsite

makeusawebsite UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Passing a site from one developer to another isn't ideal....for you or the developers, but I guess you already know this.

the positive news however, is that because you are using Magento, you are using a platform which many other developers will be familiar with, so you shouldn't have a major issue migrating the project to a new agency. Just ensure that your old provider is will to provide the files, database, and transfer over the domain.

In terms of your delivery API, that shouldnt be a major problem, as they will most likely have used a pre-built magento extension....there are several for Parcel Force.

The best thing you can do is to first let a new agency look at the site, and give it a once over. You should also look to explain to them what the outstanding issues are.

If we were handling it for example, I would perform some test transactions, test your key pages, and discuss with you it's progress. From there I would provide an hourly estimate and cost.

Best of luck.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: makeusawebsite Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  4. goivvy

goivvy UKBF Contributor Full Member

check if they gave you files and DB backup (.sql file)

new developer should pick up things easily provided you only have a small number of custom edits (API and reward scheme)

look for certified magento developer

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 By: goivvy Member since: Nov 29, 2016
  5. Sarah Cosguard

Sarah Cosguard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Speak to indzine.co.uk/ in Marlow as they took over a Magento dev for a client of ours PriceRightHome.com and they have not looked back. It is a big website connected to all the couriers but they do smaller project to. Speak to Jerry as he is the man in charge of that sort of thing.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 By: Sarah Cosguard Member since: Dec 7, 2016