Hand Car wash business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by CompleteClearance, Aug 3, 2009.

1. CompleteClearance

CompleteClearance UKBF Regular Full Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody on here took and the plunge and set up a hand car wash business when the boom started?

I think it is 1 business that i which i had looked at when it started, as my local car wash seems to rake it in. I know the saying the "grass is always greener" but i always has cars in there.

Thanks,

Ben
    [​IMG]
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: CompleteClearance Member since: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Speedymail

Speedymail UKBF Regular Free Member

About 3 started up around a few miles radius of me and none are still there now.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: Speedymail Member since: Dec 28, 2007
  3. CompleteClearance

oh right, suppose it like any business, all depends how much effort you put it and you will get something out.

i guess location is everything with this type of business.

Ben
  4. Speedymail

Yeah, like cleaning companies, burger vans and gyms they were one of those trends. One that I recall actually seemed pretty busy and it's location was excellent, but I'm not sure that the owners of the plot of land it was situated on agreed!
    So it may well have been profitable thinking about it. How much do they charge on average per wash, £5?
  5. biomed86

biomed86 UKBF Regular Free Member

My dad got into the car wash business a few years back, but I haven't heard much about it recently, so I'm guessing it's not doing so great! Location is key, and apparently easy to get wrong!
    As for prices, depends where you are and the level of wash you want. I've seen prices from £5-£10 for a basic quick once over.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: biomed86 Member since: Jul 10, 2005
  6. CompleteClearance

yes i think is ranges from £5.00 up to £20+ depending if you want full valet etc.

When the local one started near me it was £3.50 per clean. and its gone up to £5.

the major car clean has 9 cleaning stations and its got 4-5 cars in 90% of the time.
    But like you said about forecourt rent, i guess it expensive and they are very expensive to buy!

ben
  7. Tommo

Tommo UKBF Contributor Free Member

As I understand it, people are wising up that washing your car can damage it (From grit on the sponge, minerals in the water tiny things like that) so they are starting to steer clear. A proper car detail will take most of the day and cost well over £100.

Most around here are polish workers paid WELL below the minimum wage, using water over and over dropping shammys and sponges and stuff...no thanks mate. Fiver for lots of swirl marks.

I'm a car washing geek :(
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: Tommo Member since: Jul 15, 2009
  8. Speedymail

Yes it does seem to be a business where staff wages are kept to an "illegal" minimum, excuse the pun.
  9. midgetman

midgetman UKBF Regular Free Member

The guys in the local tesco car park are doing well. Every saturday there are 6 of them, £6 a pop and always busy, multiply that by 6 days a week and it must be a fair old bit of wonga!!
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: midgetman Member since: Sep 19, 2008
  10. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Regular Free Member

Aye,but what do they have to pay Tesco for being there?
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  11. biomed86

Wow, over £100! I was thinking of getting my car fully valeted inside and out, didn't think it would be that much lol
  12. Tommo

Tommo UKBF Contributor Free Member

A valet and detail are pretty different.
    A valet wont be that much at all.(I'd Hope!!)
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: Tommo Member since: Jul 15, 2009
  13. biomed86

Ah ok, my mistake!
  14. CompleteClearance

plus they work at ikea in notts, they walk round with a trolley thing, nice little set up, staffing is the prob, same as a car wash station, if 50% of staff dont turn up on the satday because they all went out the night before it could be a nightmare!
  15. Draugen

Draugen UKBF Regular Free Member

These still seem to be popping up all over the place around me. Every day I pass two that always seem very busy and another four that seem to do less well. Almost certainly not coincidence that the two busy ones are the ones that have been there longest.

I usually pay £4.50 to have my car cleaned, but some of the newer ones are advertising washes from as little as £2. In my experience though, the cheap prices that are advertised tend to be for a "mini wash" which won't include anything beyond a spray of shampoo and rinse, I'm not convinced anyone actually ever pays the lowest price!

After location, I suspect the key to the success of these businesses is the rent for the land. Around here, most seem to be on land previously occupied by petrol stations or sharing space with cheap car parks on undeveloped land, presumably awaiting planning permission or a better economy before something gets built. I would assume the owners of these sites are probably happy to let the land at a decent rate to get some income from it in the absence of any development.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: Draugen Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  16. a1isp

a1isp UKBF Regular Free Member

Were a lot of these run on the same basis as tanning shops, nail bars etc ?

i.e. washing more than cars
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: a1isp Member since: Jan 11, 2008
  17. bronzey

bronzey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I helped a old guy get his car cleaning started up, Designed a logo, put up posters, piped in a water feed. Yeah he was making some money but it was hard on some day's, I remember one day I helped him on my own back and I spent 9 hours there washing cars for £5 each, end of day total? 4 cars, £20 for a day's work, no thank you lol.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: bronzey Member since: May 30, 2009
  18. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Regular Free Member

£5 a wash??? people are mad...guess how i clean my car on a sunday? 5 empty 2 litre bottles with different cleaning products in the water and a few old cloths/ripped up soft shirts...i can get the car spotless within an hour and glistening. only costs me for the water and the 99 pence bottle of cleaning stuff which lasts me 2/3 weeks.

also

Detailing:- is when someone matches up and evens out the cars paintwork, they use a range of machines that polish, smooth and remove imperfections in the paintwork. they also do this to brand new vehicles that can have uneven paint along the bonnet and rooftop...detailers also carry around a handy tool which measures the depth of the paint in micro measurements..the aim being to get the whole car to the same depth of paint. this is why it costs over £100..the machines cost hundreds and it takes a full day in a garage with spotlights and UV lighting to find swirls/paint mismatches etc.

Valeting:- cleaning the cars interior and exterior with a range of top quality products to ensure that the vehicle is ready to be presented at car shows, forecourts or pre-delivery to the customer. e.g. making it smell nice and stuff.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. imranali

imranali UKBF Newcomer Free Member

local ones here are washing for 4 quid

and they are really really busy. a friend of mine has one - he initially had a contract with a major 2nd had supplier but that proved much more hassle than it was worth.

as nice as detailing is - most people just want water + soap on their car and there - if it looks clean that'll do kinda thing.

but as above said they also offer the full detailing valet service where its in and out. and takes a few hours where they'll pick up and drop off. luckily they're in a fantastic location so everyone knows they're there.
    Posted: Aug 3, 2009 By: imranali Member since: Jun 21, 2009