Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Google Display Network

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Paul Arnold, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Has anyone had any success using Google's Display Network?

I signed up this morning and created 3 banners. Within 6hrs I have had 334 impressions, but am yet to see any click-throughs to my website.

Due to so many different variables in terms of geographics, interests, and time-scheduling. I just wondered what kind of success others have had, or if they had any at all?

Paul Arnold,
    localglass.co.uk

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 By: Paul Arnold Member since: Oct 10, 2015
  2. lynxus

lynxus UKBF Ace Full Member

Zero to None.
    In fact my whole Google advertising experience has been a waste ( Same goes for Bing )

I guess it all depends on your business niche, I'm guessing there are a limited number of people searching for your products each day so impressions will be low ish anyway.

I guess the bottom line is, If you get low click through then its probably down to:

• Not targeting the correct keywords / phrases.
    • Not having a large enough bid ( what is your average position? )
    • Not choosing the correct sites to advertise on in the display network.
    • Not having engaging enough ads..?
    I'm personally also struggling with online advertising but the above is pretty much what I have found to be the main points.

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  3. David White

David White UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

Same here, the display network seems to always result in really a poor CTR

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 By: David White Member since: Jan 29, 2007
  4. searchsouth

searchsouth UKBF Contributor Free Member

You would generally expect a much lower CTR from the Display Network. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will also receive a worse conversion rate, although most businesses that I've worked with do tend to receive more conversions from the standard Search Network. Display Remarketing, however, can produce decent results.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 By: searchsouth Member since: Jul 28, 2011
  5. amittiwari

amittiwari UKBF Newcomer Free Member

agreed with lynxus

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 By: amittiwari Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  6. Fredrik

Fredrik UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I belive the avg CTR on Google display is about 0.06%, (6 clicks per thousand impressions) so not sure what your expectations are. Would recommend that you create your own benchmarks from your relevant marketing channels and then decide if you are looking for conversions only then PAID marketing based on impressions might not be right for you, have you tried to use PAID marketing based on CPC(cost per click) model?

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 By: Fredrik Member since: Nov 5, 2015
  7. Erno Horvath

Erno Horvath UKBF Contributor Full Member

The Display Network can be a very good source of leads & also can be a waste of money. The problem is there are at least 2 million domains out there and very hard to 'hand pick' the ones that could performs well for you.
    In general I would suggest to start a remarketing campaign & discover what domains your target market usually visit after you, pick most valuable domains and start advertising just there with an additional targeting option eg:
    - similar audience to your visitors
    - keywords that performs well for you

With setting above it's very unlikely that anything goes south.

We also working in a tool that helps you to manage your ads over the Display Network (the problem with the Display Network is the crappy domains that visited by botnets and where your ads being clicked without human interaction) with this tool we'll let your ads running only on the trusted (where the software think it's trusted) part of the GDN, so the ROI is pretty good.

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 By: Erno Horvath Member since: Jun 4, 2016
  8. Website Design Ltd

Website Design Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Display network advertising will give you back what you put in. If you do your homework on your TA and then be really specific with when, how and to who your ads show, it can work really well. Consider placements, geo-targeting, interests & in-market audiences, and remarketing as vital considerations when you are creating your campaigns.

Equally important is ad design. Strong branding, strong messaging and a call-to-action are key elements!

A number of our clients are really successful with GDN if they are prepared to invest in doing it properly.

Do not expect the kind of CTR you will get on search ads. This is you putting yourself in front of people cold, not you appearing when they are already searching for what you do.

And remember, you are paying for clicks, not impressions, so an extremely low CTR tells you either your placement or your ad design are off the mark, but is not charging you to find out.

The next stage is turning clicks to conversions. But get the basics right first.

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 By: Website Design Ltd Member since: Oct 5, 2016
  9. SamLH

SamLH UKBF Regular Full Member

How much have you spent on that 334 impressions? We pay £2-3 per 1000.

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 By: SamLH Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  10. Oliver King

Oliver King UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Hi Paul. I hope you are well. CTR is generally low on banner ads. It depends on what targeting you have chosen for the campaigns. Plus if the campaign only went live today then I would personally give it a bit more time to show a true reflection..

If you have any further questions regarding this then please don't hesitate in seeing me a message. Regards, Oli

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 By: Oliver King Member since: Dec 29, 2016