Gas meter removal - calling Gas Safe Engineers

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by gaztronics, Apr 9, 2013.

1. gaztronics

gaztronics UKBF Newcomer Full Member

I am looking for some advice from any gas safe registered engineers. E.On have started clobbering me for a standing charge on my gas line, even though I am not using it. The only way to stop the charge is to have the meter removed. They will "helpfully" do that for me for "around £87", or they suggested I call a gas safe engineer to remove it for me, then they will collect the meter for free.

I contacted a couple of local engineers asking how much they would charge, and one has replied that he is not allowed to touch the meter. Is E.On talking bull-plop, and will I have to pay them, or do I simply need to contact a Gas Safe Engineer who is certified to remove the meter? Do I need a certificate after the removal, or is it a case of simply capping off the already closed valve?

All advice is greatly welcomed.
    Posted: Apr 9, 2013 By: gaztronics Member since: Oct 17, 2012
  2. My Owl 1

My Owl 1 UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi I have had a few businesses contact me and register there gas meter with us as we will only charge you a minimal fee each month around £2 per month to keep it in, providing you call in your meter readings or do them on lineeach month. That way you can keep the supply meter and not pay silly amounts to have it taken out. PM me if that is of any help
    best wishes Avri:)l
    Posted: Apr 9, 2013 By: My Owl 1 Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  3. gaztronics

Sorry, should have mentioned it is at my home.
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: gaztronics Member since: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson Guest

As far as I'm aware it's their meter so shouldn't be removed. Why not just tell them you're not paying them anything at all and they can do what they like (disconnect service/remove meter). I can't see how they can charge you a fee for a utility you're not using?
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Homer J Simpson Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. gaztronics

This is an extract of their reply to me regarding the standing charge:

As of 18 January 2013 all of our plans have been subjected to a daily standing charge. A letter dated 9 December 2012 was sent to all customers to explain this. (I do not believe I received this, but it's besides the point!)

The standing charge is levied even if gas is not being used. As long as you have live gas meter at the property the charge will be applied. Why are we doing this? The government and Ofgem have made it very clear that this is the pricing method that they wish all suppliers to use. They believe it makes comparing easier than the two tier pricing structures previously used.

What are your options?

You can call our disconnections team on 0115 995 5019. We can arrange to remove the meter and close your gas account down. There is however a charge of around £87.00 for this. Alternatively, you can source and pay any gas safe engineer to remove your meter and then ring 0115 995 5019 for us to pick it up for which we won't charge you. The only other alternative is to look for a supplier who has none standing charge tariffs. This however is only a short term solutions as all suppliers will be adopting this method pretty soon.

We're changing the way our energy plans work, and I think you'll like the new way. We're going to start rewarding you for staying with us, having both fuels and managing your account online. We can give you this in money on your bills for this, or Tesco club card points - whatever's best for you.

Sounds like more ways to rip people off :mad:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. My Owl 1

Even better if it is in your home, less ongoing cost pennies even.:)
    I wont remove it cos it would be a real pain for the new owners.
    Will pm you if that is ok.

Best wishes
    Avril:)
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: My Owl 1 Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  7. gaztronics

I am not moving. When I can afford to re-organise my heating, I may put the gas back on. In the meantime, I think I might be breaking out the spanners!
  8. HeffernanTrading

HeffernanTrading UKBF Newcomer Free Member

You can remove the meter yourself if you really want. Just make sure the valve is closed, there should be a little screw on the underside of the valve handle when closed if it is there screw it in and this will make it safe (or as safe as you can get without cap'in it)

Howard
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: HeffernanTrading Member since: Apr 7, 2013
  9. CKG

CKG UKBF Regular Free Member

Engineer simply needs to disconnect semi rigid from lever valve and cap lever valve.

Job done 5 mins max. Any domestic fitter will be able to do that. Some may argue that they need an MET1 qualification to do it. I'd generally let common sense prevail and do it without having a MET1 ticket.

The only thing that may stump them with is having a suitable fitting to cap the lever valve.

Cost. I'd have charged about £40 for a call out plus a few quid for the cap.
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: CKG Member since: May 26, 2007
  10. gaztronics

Thanks for the tips. As I deal with my own carpentry, plumbing, electrics, electronics, vehicle maintenance, etc., I think I'll deal with this one as well!
  11. CKG

CKG UKBF Regular Free Member

Doing that is a massive no no that could land you in significant trouble. Eons meter collector might see his ass and slap you with a RIDDOR.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/

It's what's classed as an open ended gas pipe. Lesson one in gas school - never ever ever (under any circumstance) leave an open ended gas pipe. Ever.
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: CKG Member since: May 26, 2007
  12. Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson Guest

Please don't do this yourself. My gas engineer charges £35+VAT for the first 40 mins on site. So paying £40 - £50 including some sundry materials seems about right. It's not worth the risk or possible fine.
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Homer J Simpson Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  13. gaztronics

I have emailed another batch of engineers in my local area to see what they say. I don't want to give E.On the £18.07 for the standing charge, let alone another £87!

First reply quoted £60, but the email has butterflies flapping away...
  14. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Regular Free Member

Letter to Papers and copy to MP may help or at least get good publisity on the stupidity of it all

Who pays when place is empty
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  15. gaztronics

It does appear that government meddling in the markets has messed things up yet again. I thought standing charges were a thing of the past?!

I think the answer is, you will pay when the place is empty. That is going to mess with a lot of rented property/holiday homes/etc.

It is all a con!
  16. My Owl 1

Blinking heck £18.07 a month or a qtr are they are taken the diddle.
    By the way we all pay standing charges in one shape or another. My company is up front about, and still calls it standing charges, £1.40 for gas per month and around£3.00 for electricity per month. Other companies just charge higher unit prices for their first however many units and that varies from company to company.
    I have seen without a word of a lie, 28p per unit for electricity per unit for the "Higher priced units"from 1 company and 12p per unit for gas. Having a laugh or what.

Avril :rolleyes:
    Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: My Owl 1 Member since: Nov 17, 2008