Franking Machines

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by louisex1, Sep 26, 2011.

1. louisex1

louisex1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hello,
    Am considering using FP Mailing for renting a franking machine. Anybody used them before or heard anything about this company?
    Thanks.
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: louisex1 Member since: May 27, 2011
  2. Eazi Virtual Solutions

Eazi Virtual Solutions UKBF Contributor Full Member

Try pitney bowes as they are giving free postage away at the moment !
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: Eazi Virtual Solutions Member since: Jul 12, 2009
  3. QuickFile

QuickFile UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Have you considered a PPI account with Royal Mail instead? We had an arrangement with Neopost several years ago...Dreadful customer service, unexplained invoices would appear on a weekly basis and the maintenance costs (i.e. cartridges, rate changes etc) were a complete rip-off....£90 for an ink cartridge??

I've never dealt with Pitney Bowes but these two companies have a duopoly on the Franking Machine market. Add up how much you are spending with these companies in a year and you may well find stamps or PPI a better alternative.
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: QuickFile Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  4. mhall

mhall UKBF Contributor Free Member

A self printing account with Royal Mail enables you to more or less spend only when you are sending mail out. Printing your own envelopes also looks more professional IMO. The couple of pence you save by using a franking contract is soon swallowed up by the lease agreements
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: mhall Member since: Sep 8, 2009
  5. KeithGreen

KeithGreen UKBF Regular Free Member

Our experience of franking was the same as QuickFile so I would suggest you tread very carefully and check everything.... TWICE... before committing.

I think the alternatives suggested may be better as you need a certain volume to make franking worthwhile.

If you are sending mailshots try using a mailing company. We use Postforce in Poole and they are very cost-effective. Mailshots can be sent for less than the cost of a stamp - our last batch cost us 32p per letter (about 1,700 sent) which included the letter, postage, envelope and sending. We just needed to supply the data and copy for the letter.
    Posted: Oct 5, 2011 By: KeithGreen Member since: Jun 25, 2008
  6. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

Yep! There seemed to be an ongoing appetite from our Pitney Bowes machine for labels, ink, ink rollers and postage updates. All solely available from PB.

Then there was the mail that you put through incorrectly so didnt frank (but were charged for). And the complication of working out how the postage cost....."Oh what you need is a weighing machine linked to the machine sir..."

Avoid if at all possible.
    Posted: Oct 5, 2011 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011