Franking : Do all franking companies try to rip you off for "the extras" ? ! ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Contributor Free Member

We use a franking machine for the orders we send out by Royal Mail, and I have to say we`ve got a pretty cheap deal from FP mailing for the machine, £60 per quarter rental.
    BUT......
    It`s like Ryan Air, everything is extra, and all those extras are horrendously expensive.
    The printer cartridge is about £150 if we bought it from FP, ours ran out at 2500 prints so that`s a cost of 6p per print ! ! ! Even an after market one is about £45, that`s 2p per print.
    The labels for the FP MYmail machine are an odd size and if we bought it from FP would be £35 for 1000. Now there are 2 labels per sheet but that still works out at nearly 2p each for a small sticky label !
    Finally, the RM have just put up all their rates, and FP want to charge us £36 just to send us a card so we can upload the new rates from it, £36 bleedin` pounds ! ! !

So when you look at the RM rates to work out how much it costs to send out a letter, even ignoring the fixed costs you have to add on
    between 4p and 8p just for the label (if req) and the ink for the print cartridge !

So my question is, are all franking companies the same ?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    Posted: Mar 30, 2013 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Yes :)

Ours charge VAT on top of everything, even items that I'd regard as not requiring VAT such as online transactions being subject to 20% and then an admin fee being 20% and then delivery costs they also add 20% VAT on top.
    Posted: Mar 30, 2013 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Vectis

Vectis UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

I'd agree that they all do try and over charge for 'extras'.

We were with Neopost and had an agreement, in writing luckily, that we wouldn't get charged extra for replacement chips every time postage rates changed. Every time, however, they did attempt to charge us and every time we had to send a copy of the agreement saying we weren't liable for postage rate change costs. Also, the franking machine was always reconciling itself down the phone line to a premium rate number.

Even sending the machine back at the end of the contract was fraught with difficulties. You have to read the agreement very carefully to get your notice to terminate the agreement in at the right time, otherwise you get involved in another contract.

Never again!
    Posted: Mar 30, 2013 By: Vectis Member since: Jun 10, 2012
  4. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Contributor Free Member

I have to say FP aren`t quite as bad as that, but they really do spoil their pitch with overcharging for things which really should be included, or, at worst, cheap. It doesn`t exactly build up customer loyalty. But what do I know about business, I can`t understand why anyone flies Ryan Air.......
    Posted: Mar 30, 2013 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  5. simong93

simong93 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Not all company's just dont touch the main manufactures try a dealer that will let you use compatible inks and labels much cheaper :D.
    Posted: Apr 3, 2013 By: simong93 Member since: Mar 1, 2013
  6. TecD

TecD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Not all are the same if your looking for a cheaper option DM your details and i can send some relevant information
    Posted: Apr 11, 2013 By: TecD Member since: Dec 13, 2012