Flyer inserts in newspaper

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mumsbiz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. mumsbiz

mumsbiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

Ok I have made enquiries about flyer inserts in free newspaper. Prices seem ok. I'm thinking of putting maybe 5,000 -10,000 leaflets in free newspaper, A5 or A6 not sure yet.

Is there any do's and don't on this? Is A6 going to be too small to be noticed inside the newspaper. Anything else I should ask the paper?

Any tips and advice please.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Antonia @limeone.com

Antonia @limeone.com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Most end up in the bin I think. I actually hold the paper/mag/freebie newpaper over the bin before I read it.

We tried it with professional magazines for a while with mixed results, the exclusive premium we paid to be the only flyer in there worked better than the others.

Thing is you never know if it is the flyer design that worked better or the exclusive one flyer one mag thing.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: Antonia @limeone.com Member since: Jan 28, 2006
  3. Arhiann

Arhiann UKBF Newcomer Free Member

You could probably end up wasting a fair bit of cash doing this. It obviously works for soe, but I think you are better off having a large insert. The smaller ones don't give oyu much opportuity to sell many wares, and it's commonsense that offering for products gives you four times as much opportunity to sell as when offering one.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: Arhiann Member since: Apr 13, 2006
  4. eddieriby

eddieriby UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi there, I wouldnt bother with this, its all depends what you are selling. When I first started my venture and launched locally we put 30,000 A5 double sided flyers into the local press with a fantastic introductory offer.....it generated no sales at all. A very expernsive exercise. Like the previous guy said most end up in the bin and you have to place a lot of trust in the newspaper distribution company as a lot dont insert them just bin them! If you do go ahead with this we paid £17.50 per 1,000 flyers + cost of printing. Any more questions id be happy to help......
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: eddieriby Member since: Jun 30, 2006
  5. amber@pwp

amber@pwp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Have to concur, I always shake them straight into the bin otherwise they end up wafting all round the room and hiding under tables. The literary version of spam and pop-ups, stay away! Sorry!
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: amber@pwp Member since: Nov 7, 2006
  6. Em C

Em C UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I usually leave them behind on the shelf in the shop, without even getting as far as the nearest bin. I think any advertising that's irritating tends to get deliberately ignored by a lot of people, and leaflets which keep falling out of papers, making them awkward to fold and to read are very irritating!
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: Em C Member since: Nov 14, 2006
  7. mumsbiz

Hi guys,

Oh dear not looking good then. Thank you for your advice really appreciate it. We get flyers all the time and I don't just bin them I do look at what they're offering and if it is of interest then I keep the flyer.

I've been planning a number of off-line marketing and flyer insert was one of them, my business is a website for parents with young children - to save parents time and effort from looking for activities and events in their local area.

Another in my plan is to buy mailing contacts, this would be highly targeted but they do come at a much higher cost, as you pay for the each contact then you have the flyer cost and the postage cost which I think it's now .35p per mail so for 1,000 mailings that's already £350, plus the flyers printing, design and the mailing list, be running up to £1000 in comparison to inserts it makes it a lot expensive.

Any cost-effective ideas please?
    Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
  8. Bathead

Bathead UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Posted: Nov 16, 2006 By: Bathead Member since: Apr 4, 2005
  9. Dave Hybrid

Dave Hybrid UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Get a company to delivery them on their own, no newspaper and if you can offord it no other flyers.

Expect to pay around £25 per 1k. A6 is cheaper than A5 for delivery and printing, so its far more cost effective to get A6.

Works well for me.
    Posted: Nov 17, 2006 By: Dave Hybrid Member since: Jun 29, 2006
  10. creacom

creacom UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I guess it works for some and not for others. We tried this earlier this year with a couple of Chamber of commerce magazines in Scotland, it worked really well for us and generated a lot of business directly from it.

Also, as recommended above, we hired the services of a couple of students to deliver some flyers for us around places like industrial estates, offices, estate agents and that also worked well.

Whatever you do, make sure you get it professionaly designed. Impact is essential.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Jacqui :D
    Posted: Nov 17, 2006 By: creacom Member since: Oct 11, 2005
  11. weddingcrafter

weddingcrafter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Good advice. With inserts in a paper, I put the whole paper straight into recycling. For a lone flyer, I do at least glance at it on its way to the bin - and one or two do manage to escape.

And its easier to do a small scale trial.
    Posted: Nov 17, 2006 By: weddingcrafter Member since: Sep 2, 2005
  12. angelabishop

angelabishop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I agree with most of the other posts. I generally put the flyers in the bin. There are now bins in some supermarkets/newsagents next to the papers & magazines specifically for the flyers.

I suppose it works for some, but thought I'd give my opinion too.

Good Luck

Ang
    Posted: Nov 19, 2006 By: angelabishop Member since: Nov 15, 2006
  13. Sue F

Sue F UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Sorry to be a misery (because I can see by your posts that you're working really hard to make a success of your business) but I'm another one that shakes a newspaper or magazine before I read it then I gather up what ever has fallen out and it goes straight in to the recycle pile with out looking at it.

Best of luck with your efforts though :D
    Posted: Nov 19, 2006 By: Sue F Member since: May 5, 2006
  14. amber@pwp

amber@pwp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Good idea posted earlier to send them out solo, letter box drop type. Used to get them a lot in london and the ones that came in of their own accord usually made it onto the hall table and stayed there for an unspeakable length of time so if this is the route you really want to take then its your best chance of a bad lot.
    Best of luck
    Posted: Nov 19, 2006 By: amber@pwp Member since: Nov 7, 2006
  15. mumsbiz

Thank you to all your tips and advice.

I'll check those links for info. There has been a lot of negative insight about flyer inserts and I'm still looking at all other means of promotion.

I wouldn't mind doing the flyer drop myself as you say at least you know that they do get posted in the letterbox and not thrown away but as I want to reach parents in the North West region would take a lot of time and sore feet:D

One method is to reach them via nurseries.

Another thing I thought which would guarantee that I'll be reaching my target is to do direct mail but not via Royal Mail rather I'll purchase a list of those target audience and send them our marketing material etc..

Also I was thinking to leave some space for other companies to put their logo/small ad within the flyer.

What are your thoughts on this. The flyer will reach the target audience in a cost effective way.
    Posted: Nov 19, 2006 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
  16. varpusofficial

varpusofficial UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been looking at doing something similar. I have already had 15000 flyers printed so i would only have to pay for the distribution. Out of say 1000 flyers if i can get maybe 5 sales out of then it will be more than worth it. So it will be worth a try.
    Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: varpusofficial Member since: Sep 14, 2012
  17. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

I'm preparing a campaign at the moment and rather than cover 10,000 places on a one off, I am considering targeting say 2,500 places 4 times, with a couple of weeks between deliveries.

Why ? I remember the flyers which are repeated far more than the ones I see once and never again. The power of repetition I guess and getting your brand into the conciousness of the recipient is half the battle and even in they do not want your service right away, having got your brand across, you stand a chance of them remembering you when they do want a service.
    Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  18. John_

John_ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Once did a 10,000 flyers all by myself as I didn't trust someone to do it. Hard work but didn't pay off - didn't get any work from it. Recently printed 2,000 on impulse not sure if I am bother now.
    Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: John_ Member since: Mar 5, 2012
  19. B&H Digital

B&H Digital UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We've done this ourselves - however I believe we're at an advantage, as we're showing what we can do by just printing the leaflet and it being fantastic quality

What service do you offer? A5 would probably be more ideal as you've got more room to capture their attention. Try to create something amazing though. If you're going to spend money doing this - you'll have to hire a professional designer and good quality printing company :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

EDIT: Didn't see how long ago the thread was, my bad for replying!!
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    Posted: Sep 14, 2012 By: B&H Digital Member since: May 4, 2012