Flat rate vat - paying too much?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mm60103, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mm60103

mm60103 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My small limited company has been flat VAT registered for about 7 years. I work as an electrical engineer designing and specifying equipment. I think I've been over paying on the flat rate vat. Last year I was paying 12% and I find out now many of the ex umbrella type companies now operating as accountants were recommending 10.5%. The VAT has now changed and its looks as though I need to go from 13% to 14.5% whereas the others seem to be lifting from 10.5% to 12%.

Because I've been operating like this for a few years now am I stuffed with the higher rate.

My next VAT return is due is it worth just dropping both figures.

The HM site goes on about architects and civil engineers - these attract the higher rate whereas other engineers surely should attract the lesser figure.

Any thoughts.
    Posted: Feb 5, 2011 By: mm60103 Member since: Feb 5, 2011
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

Have you listed all your sales and input VAT to see if you are better off on the fixed rate? That would be my first step.
    Posted: Feb 5, 2011 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. mm60103

mm60103 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'm definately better off on the flat rate scheme. My company doesn't make purchases or scarce few and its essentially a service type contract.

My issue is that the description on the VAT site is vague. I think I've been overpaying. Would you just change the flat rate or would you get in touch with the VAT man. If I speak with the VAT man he will give me an answer which I believe will fall in his favour. Without asking him I am genuinely working in ignorance.

If I simply changed the rate and made myself a decent saving how often does the vat man check things and is he likely to come looking. VAT will be paid its just the amount of VAT in question.
    Posted: Feb 6, 2011 By: mm60103 Member since: Feb 5, 2011
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

The VAT office may well do a check on your figures when they receive the return. Any discrepancy will trigger a VAT inspection.
    Posted: Feb 6, 2011 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Bob

Bob UKBF Ace Free Member

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 By: Bob Member since: Jul 24, 2009
  6. eggtastico

eggtastico UKBF Newcomer Free Member

xxx.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/schemes/flat-rate.htm#5

hope that is of some help. - i cant post links yet, I dont have enough posts
    Posted: Feb 14, 2011 By: eggtastico Member since: Feb 12, 2011