Filing CT600 via HMRC wbsite - HELP!

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Andrew @ PLA, May 17, 2011.

1. Andrew @ PLA

Andrew @ PLA UKBF Contributor Free Member

Morning (just) ..... I'm hoping that somebody else has had this problem, and can therefore offer some advice.

I am trying to complete and file a CT600 via the HMRC website ... I'm on the "Type of Company" page and selected Box 0, when I click next the following message appears:

X ERROR: This service is trying to auto-save your progress but is unable to do so because the trust settings are not enabled

..... has anybody come across this before, if you can help me fix this, I would be eternally grateful!!!!!
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: Andrew @ PLA Member since: Jul 5, 2010
  2. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Regular Full Member

Sorry Andrew I cant - we use third party software rather the HMRC's hopefully someone else can help.
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  3. Robert Pearce

Robert Pearce UKBF Contributor Full Member

Posted: May 17, 2011 By: Robert Pearce Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  4. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Regular Moderator

I don't use the HMRC software either, but you don't say what type of company it is. That box doesn't generally require any entry for a normal trading company.
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  5. elainec100@cheapaccounting

elainec100@cheapaccounting UKBF Regular Full Member

I would not rely on HMRC software for filing returns
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: elainec100@cheapaccounting Member since: Nov 4, 2005
  6. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Regular Full Member

Hi Andrew

Just a thought if you havent got an answer yet maybe a posting on Accounting Web might help? I havent used it for ages myself as I dont like the general vibe of the forum but I suspect a lot more accountants will be there who use the HMRC software than here.
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  7. elainec100@cheapaccounting

elainec100@cheapaccounting UKBF Regular Full Member

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: elainec100@cheapaccounting Member since: Nov 4, 2005
  8. Kwame

Kwame UKBF Newcomer Free Member

After downloading the software, you need to make some changes to your PDF before you can correctly us the software.
    Follow this link to www .hmrc.gov.uk/ct/ct-online/file-return/online-change-settings-v10.pdf
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: Kwame Member since: Dec 2, 2010
  9. DickM

DickM UKBF Regular Free Member

Last poster is absolutely right, as I originally experienced in my thread back in Feb this year:

So yesterday was a bad day for HMRC online - SKY News
    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=192775

However, if you follow the Trust instructions for the PDF software, you should get a satisfactory result ............ in the end. Looking on the bright side, once you've cracked it, repeat business should be a doddle - excuse me while I pop outside to check if there are any fairies @ the end of my garden ;)
    Posted: May 17, 2011 By: DickM Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  10. Alex_A

Alex_A UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

We run a v small company that didnt tutnover a penny in 2009/2010 as we were building the software. When doing the 2009/10 CT600, there is a "cost of sales" figure on the "profit and loss" page. The help icon says we should include "salaries" here which I have done, but...

In the "Computations" section, under which there is "Expenses" then "Directors', employees and subcontractor costs" and then "Salaries and wages" if I add the salaries and wages in here, then I will be double-accounting as the salaries are already accounted for in "cost of sales"

As most of the salaries are for software developers and most of the "'professionals services" are also for software development, should I account for this in "cost of sales" or "salaries" under "Computations"
    Please advise

Any help gratefully appreciated

Kind regards

Alex
    Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: Alex_A Member since: Oct 20, 2011
  11. DickM

DickM UKBF Regular Free Member

If your work contributes to the end (saleable) product, then I would suggest classifying as "Cost Of Sales". If it's indirectly contributing to the end product, then treat as "expense". From HMRC's point of view, I guess they would be comfortable with either, as long as you don't book it against both categories!
    Posted: Oct 24, 2011 By: DickM Member since: Oct 3, 2007