Email marketing software

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by hipwuk, Jul 4, 2008.

1. hipwuk

hipwuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hello All,

I am looking to start my email marketing campaign very soon and was wondering whether there are any decent email marketing software out there you can recommend me..?

I was recommended Mailbuild and although I do like the functionality behind it (i.e. tracking, grouping, etc), the only problem with it is they adopt a "white label" model where you pay your web designer a marked up fee who in turn pays Mailbuild (your web designer pockets the difference). I would prefer to be independent and handle all my email marketing inhouse.

In addition, I have my own dedicated server therefore I would prefer to purchase the software outright, as opposed to subscribing and having to pay a monthly fee/per email fee. I did find one software but it was over 500 pounds and I can't really afford this!

If there are any that has similar functionality and features as Mailbuild which you have had excellent experience with or know about, it would be marvellous!

Many thanks in advance!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: hipwuk Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  2. neildigital

neildigital UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: neildigital Member since: Apr 30, 2007
  3. hipwuk

Thanks Neil for the recommedation, but the link doesn't seem to work...(?)
    Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: hipwuk Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  4. wecandobiz

wecandobiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Do you need to have it on premise? I have experience of hosted solutions that do a good job.

Take a look at http://www.verticalresponse.com.

Also, some CRM solutions have this built-in. Might yours?

IH
    Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  5. neildigital

neildigital UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: neildigital Member since: Apr 30, 2007
  6. consultant

consultant I Can Help Your Business Moderator

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  7. in2play

in2play UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I been using interspire for nearly a year. Good support and they're always working on their products.
    Posted: Jul 4, 2008 By: in2play Member since: Jul 4, 2008
  8. hipwuk

Thanks guys!

I've had a quick look at the websites and they all look really good! I'm particularly impressed with Vertical Response - wow, so many features! And all at an incredibly competitive rate on pay-as-you-go!
    Posted: Jul 7, 2008 By: hipwuk Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  9. templarmc

templarmc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Wow, this is a timely post - just been looking for the same myself, ideally a simple-yet-powerful solution to manage/build my email marketing & surveys, particularly newsletters.

Had been considering Constant Contact, Vertical Response looks good too - how do the two compare against each other, any opinions?

I've used aweber before for autoresponders for some online list building, in another sector though, I guess would be great if could combine an autoresponder service with email marketing, especially with multi-account setup?
    Posted: Jul 7, 2008 By: templarmc Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  10. wecandobiz

I thinking Constant Contact and VerticalResponse are much of a muchness in terms of features. But from I recall CC charges you for the data you have in their regardless of whether you are using it to mail to or not; VR doesn't charge for the data, so you can store what lists you want for free - they only charge per mailshot sent. And it's next to nothing. Half a pence or something absurd.

I use VR and like it. I mail to WeCanDo.BIZ's 600 or so members weekly using it for peanuts.

IH
    Posted: Jul 7, 2008 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  11. templarmc

templarmc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Ian

Can VR do newsletters as good as CC seems to? Does it have templates etc.?

Thanks for your recommendation, much appreciated, if it's good enough for your needs that speaks volumes. Joined your site last week and I like it a lot, well done :cool:

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 By: templarmc Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  12. wecandobiz

Yes, VR has a wizard driven system. I can't confirm it beats CC at that, because after my initial on paper review I was put off by CC because of the charging model. The only real difference at the time was surveys I seem to recall, but VR has now added those and we'll be using it for the first time in the next few weeks.

What is useful about VR is that it costs nothing to store lists in it, so you can easily try it out for free, just mailing a few contacts (internal probably) to test a newsletter design.

The only other thing I would be interested in comparing is open rates, which perhaps also acts as a measure of how many get past spam filters too. I have seen 35% open rate on a mail we have sent to our members, so we know their addresses are good. Anyone got a comparative fogure for CC?

Thanks for joining the site and the lovely words - if you like what you see then we'd hope you'll invite your contacts to join and collect some endorsements along the way. Come and connect with me directly at http://www.wecando.biz/profile.php?bid=20 and I'll help you how I can.

IH
    Posted: Jul 8, 2008 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  13. wwr

wwr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

try POMMO. It is a free mass mailing software.
    Posted: Aug 19, 2008 By: wwr Member since: Aug 19, 2008
  14. Birmingham

Birmingham UKBF Newcomer Free Member

i could sort out the technical side and create an in-house system for you if you can take care of the graphical elements that would involved in the emails. would cost £5/mo for a decent web hosting package and it would be limited to 500 emails per hour - so if you wanted to send out 12,000 emails it would take a day of waiting after you've pressed the "go" button.
    Posted: Aug 21, 2008 By: Birmingham Member since: Nov 14, 2006
  15. vitamark

vitamark UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We've had good results with Vertical Response for a mailing to complementary therapists about our therapy rooms. You pay per mail but the costs are tiny. I forget the exact cost but I think we spent about $5 on a 500 recipient mail. We got 5 regular bookings (plus a load more possibles or one-offs) at £40 per week each from it so I was very happy with my ROI!

It gives you response rate graphs, unsubscribe functionality etc.
    Posted: Aug 21, 2008 By: vitamark Member since: Aug 12, 2008
  16. Birmingham

something to bear in mind with these services is whether or not the emails will land in the recipient inbox or be filtered out as spam/junk/bulk mail. with my way the emails are almost certain to land in inbox every time.
  17. garysumpter

garysumpter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Can you not give advice without trying to get a job out of it ?

In my experience these services (certainly the larger ones) and geared up withthis exact problem in mind.
    Posted: Aug 21, 2008 By: garysumpter Member since: Dec 4, 2007
  18. Birmingham

well giving advice would be a job, so simple answer to that question is *no*

and i'm sure many are very successful.
  19. Jo-WHG

Jo-WHG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have tried a few in the past and found mailchimp to be the best for what I needed. It's really easy to use and cheap - around £2.50 for 1000. It also has a decent amount of tracking and reporting functions.
    Posted: Aug 21, 2008 By: Jo-WHG Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  20. collateit

collateit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

All of my clients use Mailbuild and they love it and once I set it up it just works - personally I would always use a hosted solution.

Our largest client sends out 115,000 emails (takes about 1hr) and gets open rates of between 40-45%.
    Posted: Aug 21, 2008 By: collateit Member since: Aug 12, 2008