1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Email List - Firsteco. Anybody heard of them?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by PaceSetters, Sep 19, 2008.

1. PaceSetters

PaceSetters UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi Guys

I have been looking for a reliable ”Opt-in” email list to utilise for marketing purposes for both ourselves and our clients and have come across Firsteco.

What they are offering seems to be to good to be true, and as a born cynic I am a firm believer that if it seems to good to be true it usually is!

They are a 10th Anniversay package, which expires today funnily enough.

This package consists of 160,000 top decision makers, 450,000 small businesses and email broadcast software (the software is not an issue as we already have our own system for this). There total package price is £399.

Anyone got any opinions on this? Their web address is firsteco dot co dot uk (dont want to give them any links if its not above board).

Rapid responses would be appreciated.

regards
    Geoff
  2. FreelanceSEO

FreelanceSEO UKBF Regular Free Member

Would also like an answer to this one? Anyone purchased or used this data?
  3. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Regular Free Member

i'm still of the opinion too good to be true plus i feel it's a bit underhand to purchase that list and bombard people with emails that probably don't have anything to do with them...thats just my way of working though and i s'pose i don't have a mass market product so i don't see the point.

£399 though...cheap I s'pose but is it really worth it?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. FreelanceSEO

For a company supposed to be celebrating it's 10th anniversay, there is a distinct lack of feedback about them.
  5. mountrecruitment

mountrecruitment UKBF Regular Full Member

That was posted on the 19th of Sept and yet they are advertising on the Businessforum "tips and tools" email saying that the anniversary is between the 6th and 10th of Oct!

Does anyone have any experience of them? It doesn't look good so far!
  6. juicyjobs.biz

juicyjobs.biz UKBF Regular Free Member

Never heard of them. We've used Electric Marketing in the past, but this just didn't work so well for us.
  7. FreelanceSEO

8. FreelanceSEO

Am still looking into this offer. Perhaps someone from UKBF can clarify a few things on this company/offer they are promoting as I don't seem to be getting any email response from FirstEco

http://www.theexclusivepackage.com/uk/index.html - First Eco site built in 2005 claiming their 5th Anniversary

http://www.firsteco.co.uk/ - The FirstEco site promoted on UKBF which claims a 10 year anniversary. - wow only 3 years have passed since their 5th year anniversary??

http://www.decisionmakers.eu/uk/index.html - Now it's their "UK launch" offer, although they do claim having been in business for 10 years abroad

They also have 13 other different variations of domain names. Some not currently in use.

So perhaps someone can tell us exactly what is going on as I'm a little confused? If the offer was genuine then I'd buy, but it doesn't seem that way.
  9. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Regular Full Member

10. FreelanceSEO

Interesting, as on one of their sites it states they won't accept credit cards, yet on the UKBF offer they say they do. Strange that they wouldn't let you pay by credit card. I guess a sceptic might say it may be because a c/c offers too much protection in terms of chargebacks ??

It's a shame as I'd love to hear some reccomendations because I'd definitely give them a go if genuine.
  11. MarketingFile

MarketingFile Guest

Hi,

For what its worth here is some info that may help make a decision.

With business emails opt-in doesn't actually mean opt-in. When collecting UK business email addresses, you have to give the recipient the option to unsubscribe, if they do not unsubscribe they are then deemed to have "opted-in", it called passive opt-in. The EC Directive 2003 allows this to happen.

I would suggest given the price, they have harvested the web, collected the emails, passively opted them in and are then reselling the data. This process costs next to nothing to do, so any money they can get off the back is all good.

The price is amazing, but as they say, you get what you pay for! I had customers in the past take this type of data and have found themselves on spam lists as the email data contained "spam traps". This would be the one to worry me the most.

The emails are most likely to be generic, not such a bad thing though, as in most companies more than one person reads/has access to the email address/box.

All the above aside I have no experience of these people and it could be a fantastic email list that generates a lot of business for you.

Anthony
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. firsteco

firsteco UKBF Regular Free Member

Hello,

I am Sales Manager at Firsteco.

One of the challenges companies face when they are discussed on forums like these is ensuring that content remains factual and that any inaccuracies are corrected. Can I therefore clarify the following:

Firsteco is based in Geneva, Switzerland – and has been since 1998. We have been developing qualified B2B databases for companies in 12 different companies for the last decade.

There have been a number of database offers from Firsteco and affiliated companies since our inception. The offer available on firsteco “dot” co "dot" uk is our most recent offering to the UK B2B market and I would like to make these two important points about it:

anyone – including Anthony from ‘Marketing File’ – can visit our UK site and download a free database sample to review the quality of our data

the data has not been harvested from the internet but is the result of our substantial investments. As you can see in our sample, we do not provide only email addresses but also company names, full contact details, a contact name and position held and the personal (rather than generic) email address of each contact are proof of this (pseudo-database companies selling data harvested from the internet will never provide free samples nor anything other than a list of emails, 99% of which will be from hotmail, aol or any similar free web email service).

The data contained in our databases represents a substantial investment of time and money. Proud of this and our recent 10th company anniversary, we decided to offer our most recent package at the very low price of £399 for just a few weeks only. We are currently running a large online marketing campaign nationally to promote the package, primarily to build our client base in the UK as we are relative newcomers to the UK market.

Can I conclude by confirming to everyone that the data we are offering in our most recent package - for less than £400 - would be available from some UK list brokers for as much as £10,000, if not more.

Malo Andre
    Firsteco
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. mountrecruitment

mountrecruitment UKBF Regular Full Member

Hi Malo,

First of all thank you for coming back to us. I am sure you know an offer like this (especially in your industry) runs the risk of the "too good to be true" tag.

The point which made me suspicious was the fact the offer seems to have had two different expiry dates. Was the offer re-run because it didnt get enough exposure first time around?

I am sure you will get some responses to your posting but again thanks for answering.

Rgds
    Grant
  14. MarketingFile

MarketingFile Guest

Hi Malo,

You are right, lists brokers would sell the data for at least £10k.

I take on board everything you have outlined in your post, in fact I downloaded the sample data. I would suggest its a good way forward for anyone looking to purchase the CD, doesn't take long to review the sample to see what the quality of the data is like.

As some have already stated in the post, sometimes an offer can appear to be "too good to be true", generally in our industry they are, but some of course are not.

Thanks for the further info Malo. I would be really interested to understand where the data came from, maybe you could PM me.

Anthony.
  15. juicyjobs.biz

juicyjobs.biz UKBF Regular Free Member

16. FreelanceSEO

17. Marketing-r-us

Marketing-r-us UKBF Regular Free Member

Sorry to say it, but some things are too good to be true!

We are a UK data supplier and bought this list in order to add to our fully complient opt-in list of 750,000 UK businesses (based on Thomsons and company house). Claims that this data has been collected through anything else than link farming are simply untrue. We had masses of complaints, which have lead us to stop all compaigns associated with their data.

Figures are also completely wrong (only 55,000 records with all details as stated from their 460,000 small business data after de-duplication).

They agreed to refund us, but no money has arrived. Funny that.....

The reason for my post is simple. I would like to form an interest group of companies who like us have been had by these cowboys. If we can't shut them down we can at least warn other business users.....

Any feed-back (in particular if you have purchased lists from this company) are welcome!

Udo Scherpe - Marketing-r-us Ltd.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Regular Full Member

Glad I did not follow through as my gut was telling me something was iffy. Interesting to see if my next credit card bill has any charges from them?
  19. firsteco

firsteco UKBF Regular Free Member

Udo,

We have found out that not only you received your purchase and downloaded both databases, but you have used the data to send massive email marketing campaigns nationally. We can in no way give any refund, whenever the data has already been used. You have already been warned of that before your purchase.

You still have different reports on spamhaus for mailings sent by your company, since well before you completed the purchase from our databases 3 weeks ago.
    For example, SBL66944 on spamhaus which dates from August 12.

Thanks to one of our special offers, you have paid 400 pounds for a list worth and being sold in the UK for over 10,000 pounds. Yourself, you are selling your national B2B list for over 20,000 pounds.

Figures are not wrong at all. The databases you have purchased are intended to be used for email marketing. The number of entries you are telling about (55,000 entries) are entries that include tel and fax numbers. All our entries include the company name, a contact name inside the company, the mailing address and the email of the company. There are 350,000 unique B2B emails (after deduplication) in eMarket UK(with detailed information about each company) and 160,000 unique B2B emails in DecisionMakers UK. (the DM UK database include other info. as position of the manager, company income, no. of employees.)
    There are over 300k unique small businesses with email in eMarket UK and 40K unique large companies with email in DecisionMakers UK.

Moreover, we recommend to all of our customers to send their e-mails to a limited number of recipients (no more than 20,000 per operation). Our software allow you to make selections by industry or/and location.

Billy
    Firsteco
  20. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Regular Free Member