Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Dog insurance

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Pelenna, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Pelenna

Pelenna UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Reading the thread about the lost cat (hope you get him back!) reminded me I need to get my doggie insured - does anyone have any recommendations for good pet insurers?

Thanks, Sarah.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Pelenna Member since: Nov 8, 2006
  2. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

PetPlan are regarded as the best - we've just signed up with them. :)

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  3. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

Im with Tesco.

Just called them earlier. They will cover £450 to advertise to find him and a £50 reward, with no excess. I pay around £75 ish for the year.

My daughter has just gone round the street with a A4 photo, as a lot of people in our street are at work all day, hopefully as they return they might know something.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: INDIZINE Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

Petplan may be good,but they are quite expensive.It will pay you to shop around and remember to compare "like with like"

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  5. Sue F

Sue F UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We went for a life plan with Pet Plan for C.J.

Hubby is quite careful when it comes to parting with his cash but the breeders recommended Pet Plan. They had several reasons but the one that clinched it for us was that if C.J. gets an illness she will be covered if she needs tablets etc for life rather than just the initial diagnosis.

We actually pay £19 per month which isn't in everyone's affordable price range but after eight months we have already had to claim as C.J. caught a nasty bug in the local woods and the consultation + xray (to see if she had anything stuck inside her) + tablets all came to £67.

C.J. is a working Cocker Spaniel so she's lively and in to everything. There's obviously plenty of opportunity for accidents to happen from something small like getting a thorn in her paw to something unthinkable. I'm not sure if we'd have got such an extensive policy if she'd been a snuggly stay at home dog but as it is it's probably the best idea for us.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Sue F Member since: May 5, 2006
  6. Morgan

Morgan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I echo what Eagle says. I have the horse and dog insured with them. Yes there are cheaper out there but I believe in this field you really do get what you pay for.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Morgan Member since: Nov 11, 2006
  7. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

dont forget with most insurances anyway, there is an excess usually of £50 so its no good for claiming the minor things.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: INDIZINE Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  8. Mrs Malapup

Mrs Malapup UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Mine are insured with Loyds TSB ...we were with Pet Plan to start with but too many people were telling me that they are notoriously reluctant to pay out and I thought if I ever need to call on the insurance I wont need a battle at that time:rolleyes:

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Mrs Malapup Member since: Sep 4, 2006
  9. Morgan

Morgan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Really? That suprises me in fact I've always heard the opposite with Pet Plan? :)

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Morgan Member since: Nov 11, 2006
  10. RayB

RayB Banned

Petplan every time

My dog had a spinal injury and was paralysed (for 6 months) - the bills were nearly £5,000 in the first year alone (long story)

This included (prescribed) hydrotherapy and physio.

Apparently, Petplan is only one of a handful that cover this (according to our treatment centre, who have to deal with the tears and despair when a claim is rejected)

They also mentioned that many popular plans (especially the supermarket ones) almost never cover this stuff - it is buried in the small print...............

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  11. Alice3537

Alice3537 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We've gone with Petplan as well - when we looked about, most insurers make a one off or limited term payment for conditions. Our Petplan plan continues to pay out as long as we re-insure each year. Given that, a little more monthly expense (an not THAT much more) gives peace of mind.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: Alice3537 Member since: Jul 9, 2007
  12. EDS07

EDS07 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Petplan by a mile, that could have something to do with me knowing the MD's but!

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 By: EDS07 Member since: Mar 28, 2007
  13. Pelenna

Pelenna UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thanks for all the replies - looks like we'll be going to Petplan! I had heard to be wary of the ones that only pay out for the year in which the pet first need the treatment, that happened to my dad's dog, so cheers for the advice:)

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 By: Pelenna Member since: Nov 8, 2006
  14. creacom

creacom UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Just to throw in my 2ps worth - Petplan also !

My dog has never needed to use his but my friends dog broke his paw and the treatment came to almost £1,000. She pays the first £65 of each bill so in the end paid exactly that ! Fill in the form you get from them online and then give it to your vet. Like that - you don't foot the bill in the meantime and the vet claims direct.

Jacqui

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 By: creacom Member since: Oct 11, 2005