Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Cost of Issuing Solicitors Letter

Discussion in 'Legal' started by 10 Yetis, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. 10 Yetis

    10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 2,388 Likes: 144
    Does anyone know, or can advise on a ball-park figure for getting a solicitors letter to send to a person who is messing us about with payment?

    Sick of messing around, want to go via small claims court but have been advised that we need to send solicitors letter first*

    *source of advice, Business Link
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  2. coxadmin

    coxadmin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 2,117 Likes: 84
    I can't help with the cost of a solicitors letter but I recently had to start proceedings against a client and sent a letter warning them that non receipt of payment would result in court action. The court was more than happy to commence proceedings on that basis.
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: coxadmin Member since: Nov 5, 2004
  3. Rusty

    Rusty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 571 Likes: 111
    Did this just recently, our bill came to £100 plus VAT. But believe that it very much depends on the solicitor. We informed them up front that all we wanted was a letter to jivvy the client along and got a quote before allowing the solicitor to proceed. It worked though, client paid up immediately.

    Having said that when we had another similiar problem a couple of years ago we went to a different solicitor and was quoted over £300 just for the letter, so you need to shop around.
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: Rusty Member since: May 6, 2006
  4. fastfences

    fastfences Banned

    Posts: 2,557 Likes: 2
    £100? That's big money in the context of any debt being sought.

    If I were a solicitor on this forum, I'd do it for nicks for you Andy as a reward for your valued contributions.

    cheers, Nigel
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: fastfences Member since: May 22, 2005
  5. elite123

    elite123 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 344 Likes: 7
  6. apeebles

    apeebles UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 469 Likes: 34
    I wouldn't waste time with the solicitors letter. Just send them a letter saying that in 7 days we go to court if there is no payment. Then just logon to money claim online and raise the papers. It's really easy to use and providing the client is still solvent then you should get paid (fingers crossed).
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: apeebles Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  7. bwglaw

    bwglaw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 4,681 Likes: 235
    A solicitors letter is not compulsory. You do have to send out a "Letter before action" setting out the basis of your claim and give a deadline when payment should be made by, failing which you will instigate legal proceedings.

    We also collect some debts on a commission-basis and the advantage with us is that you get legal advice from a lawyer as well.

    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: bwglaw Member since: Apr 8, 2005
  8. Antonia @limeone.com

    Antonia @limeone.com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 1,765 Likes: 141
    We provide debt collection services including letters and calls before action on both a fixed price basis and also on a percentage recovered basis. I don't specialise in this but if you email [email protected] and mark it for the attention of either John Dalton or Janine Hughes they will send over the costs involved on the fixed fee service and the percentages.
    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: Antonia @limeone.com Member since: Jan 28, 2006
  9. Rob Holmes

    Rob Holmes UKBF Newcomer Full Member

    Posts: 3,790 Likes: 23
    Sorry Andy - I'll get the 50p you lent me in the post PDQ - didn't realise you were so strapped mate.

    Joking apart.. My sols did this about 4 years ago (the last time I was messed around with an invoice ;) ) cost me £15 for the letter.

    I've heard people also panic and pay when Nic the chick from www.admiral-collections.com calls .


    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: Rob Holmes Member since: Mar 23, 2005
  10. creospace

    creospace UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 3,932 Likes: 188
    Andy, complete the forms and then photocopy them. Send the photocopied documents in a register letter stating that if payment isn't forthcoming within a set period then the papers (original) will be filed to the court.

    This usually works :)

    Posted: Oct 15, 2006 By: creospace Member since: Oct 31, 2005
  11. sjbeale

    sjbeale UKBF Ace Full Member

    Posts: 1,200 Likes: 208