CERCO IT Staffing Solutions (Crewe)

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by James36, Jan 8, 2012.

1. James36

James36 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Watch out for these muppets everyone. They advertise free IT courses and claim huge salaries can be earned, yet the reality is much different. Also, if they take you on as an IT person (they have contracts with the likes of Fujitsu), they pay you peanuts and well BELOW the average IT salary. A lot of us guys did their training several months ago, and we get less than £250 per week. Also Cerco IT Staffing don't give a damn about you... if you complain you're out of the door, no questions, and they take on another batch of suckers! Never again and I'm amazed that a so called good company like Fujitsu would be associated with them. Keep away from Cerco IT Solutions at all costs please.
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: James36 Member since: Jan 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Regular Free Member

So you were a temporary / contract worker? or employed by the client direct?
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  3. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Regular Free Member

Did this not ring an alarm bell?

d
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Posilan

Posilan UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

So they trained you up for a career, free of charge, then offered you a job at the end of it which you accepted??

How very dare they! :rolleyes:
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  5. James36

Not quite. They gave us one weeks basic training on IT hardware - yes - one week - with no, repeat no, formal certification or acknowledgement, and yes, they did get us a job with Fujitsu but ONLY because they had signed a contract with said company to provide "qualified and experienced IT personnel". When we got on site, the guy supervising us said he was astonished we had received so little training for such a large and important client. Even HE thought Cerco were a bunch of cowboys. Some of us made mistakes that cost Fujitsu a lot of money and time to rectify - because we hadn't received the appropriate length of training etc. We just felt so let down that in this time of high unemployment a bunch of muppets like Cerco are exploiting us and they just don't give a damn.
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: James36 Member since: Jan 8, 2012
  6. Posilan

It sounds like it's approx the minimum wage?

How old are you? Did you have any IT experience or qualifications before takign the job/course?

Were you employed by Fujitsu or Cerco?

I'm assuming from the attitude towards them you were sacked? What happened?

Steve
    Posted: Jan 8, 2012 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  7. James36

Most of the guys were middle aged - like me. Eager to get back into employment and a so called new start career wise. Cerco certainly put on a good show when it comes to promoting themselves. However when we were put onto site for the client, we were expected to perform task way, way beyond our competance and experience. This is where it all went wrong. When the guys tried to raise this matter with Cerco IT, they just told us that if we didn't like it - walk! Some did. I stuck it out for a few more weeks, but honestly, we were all working 10 - 12 hour days for a fixed rate. At one stage I calculated to be working LESS than the minimum wage while Cerco get a huge fat cheque from their client Fujitsu. Cerco don't care about staff, they just exploit the market and get more suckers and fools (of which I am one). Now I'm unemployed again and simply want to make sure anyone knows about these cowboys. If you search Google for "Cerco IT Staffing Solutions" you'll see loads of criticism and even the advertising standards agency has had a spat with them.
    Posted: Jan 9, 2012 By: James36 Member since: Jan 8, 2012
  8. unet

unet UKBF Contributor Full Member

standard MCSE / A+ scam thats been around for years.

promise of a job at the end of the course bla bla.

even the company sounds like SERCO ( which does everything including training and is a proper company )

CERCO is just doing what a lot of other flash in the pan training companies do - usually target people like ex armed forces that have been paid a retraining fee.

disgusting way to play with peoples lives
    Posted: Jan 9, 2012 By: unet Member since: Dec 14, 2010
  9. Posilan

yes, I agree (with the extra info). Definitely below the minimum wage too.

Steve
    Posted: Jan 9, 2012 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  10. Majestic121

Majestic121 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been looking for information on CERCO all day until I ran into this post. Which was the most recent one, I have also posted on other sites to see if this was legit.

I have passed my interview and are on the training course. After I looked on the internet, i was having second thoughts. Since they were old posts from 2005. I didnt have the most recent information.

After reading this post, I guess im not gettin involved. Also recieved loooaaadss of forms to fill in which I havent started yet.
    Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: Majestic121 Member since: Jan 26, 2012
  11. HertsCCTV

HertsCCTV UKBF Contributor Free Member

To tell you the truth I am NOT surprised with Fujitsu I used to work for them when I left school all be it on a call centre helpdesk for McDonalds pos & back office issues and the some of the muppets we had working for us claiming they had MCSE'S and that and you could see it was an online fake exam or some scam and if you actually called M$ you will find that there certificate was not real they did not last long.

I also worked for serco for the council IT contracts and this was a proper IT company checked on my certs and even took me though 2 exams before I was released on the helpdesk.

But you do need to remember that call centres do have a high staff turn around.
    Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: HertsCCTV Member since: Apr 22, 2010
  12. andym562

andym562 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

Iv been working in the IT industry for about three months but due to the company i work for deciding to outsource their IT department im due to be made redundant. Im currently working my notice period and so have decided to take a couple of weeks holiday to do the course with Cerco starting on Monday. Having read all the posts on here im starting to get abit worried about attending the course as im now not sure whether its going to be a waste of time or not. With the small amount of experience iv gained already working in IT i thought it may have been a good idea to do the course anyway and then i get some further hands on experience, especially as the course is free (im only going to pay for accomodation) and then i might get a job at the end of it which will see me over until i can find somthing better.

I was told at the interview that there arent any further costs attached but im now starting to thing that theres going to be a catch somewhere.... Any advice from people that have already done the course would be great cos im starting to worry abit now. Do i have to stay with Cerco after iv done the course as iv also been told i can leave at any time after iv completed it?
    Posted: Feb 3, 2012 By: andym562 Member since: Feb 3, 2012
  13. numnutz78

numnutz78 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

dont touch these smarmy, slimy leeches with a 20 foot pole. having been snagged by the cerco net in 2009 and been promised unlimited oportunities for work after completing a 3 week course, which was a blatant blag to start with. for starters you will get an untold of ammount of phone calls from a very pretty and flirty girl who will talk you into accepting their terms and handing over a couple of grand in cash. you will then be given a cursory 3 week course during which they will do everything, including in some cases actually give you the answers to their exams, to get you to pass and into their system of employment. this wjere they really start making money from you. they will tell you you will be earning 35 grand a year after a month or 2. i was given a 4 week job with IKON who had contracts to update the EPOS systems for carphone warehouse. this was nothing short of farcical. for starters you were paid a daily rate which when you broke the work down actusally ended up being about £2.50 an hour. they will also tell you they will ay for petrol. evev though travelling alll over the north west for my work i was given about £3.50 a day petrol allowance. i actually worked out that by the end of my contract, after my deductions for petrol, dinners etc, i had earned around £70 for a whole weeks work. DO NOT TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A 10 FOOT BARGE POLE. once you fill in that pplication they WILL NOT STOP calling you until you accept them. also i had a friend conduct a business report on their finacial status. apparently they own about £95 total assets and change the name of their comapny on a routine basis every couple of years, presumably to avoid civil lawsuits.
    Posted: Dec 1, 2012 By: numnutz78 Member since: Dec 1, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Regular Free Member

Company currently in liquidation...
    Posted: Dec 1, 2012 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  15. ptans

ptans UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi this is not looking good,
    I've just been invited for the interview on Tuesday. Its now Saturday and i'm thinking of not going after reading some of the comments.
    Is it just better to go to your local college for courses and exams, then go out and find your own experience to get in to the industry. Or go to Cerco pay over the odds for accommodation and books. Then let them place you for 6 months before I go it alone. and just use them as a stepping stone.
    As I'm just about to be made redundant and the college may only be £600 compared to Cerco's £4000 but being out of work will cost me so much more.
    Then there is the time factor as spending a year getting trained by a college compared to a company that will take a month.

Confused. If I go it alone please advise what courses should I be looking at ?
    Posted: Jan 26, 2013 By: ptans Member since: Jan 26, 2013
  16. EdLloyd1984

EdLloyd1984 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been through the CERCO nightmare.

Their entire business model is a SCAM.

You will NEVER earn the wage they promise you.

You will not find full time work through CERCO.

I have reported them to reed and other sites due to the severity of their bull**** and reed have now banned their account.

The best you will get from CERCO is £65/day and 15pence per mile.

They dont give a damn about the engineers, they are there to rip you off for a few weeks then you wise up to the scam and quit but they dont care because they allready ahve the next class of suckers lined up.

Total scam. Seriously, avoid them. I wish I had.

If you want more infomation or to contact me feel free to email me.
    Posted: Jun 26, 2013 By: EdLloyd1984 Member since: Jun 26, 2013
  17. Chris Barlow

Chris Barlow UKBF Newcomer Free Member

If I may introduce myself. My name is Chris Barlow and I am a Director at Cerco. Some of you who have posted on here may have met me previously at your evaluation. In the interest of fairness and democracy I have felt compelled to respond to some of the comments levied at our company on this forum. We used to sell our training courses for £3999 up until late 2010 however since then have given this training away for free to any candidate who attends an evaluation and is deemed suitable. If I may, please allow me to explain why we did this. From 1989 to 2003 Cerco exististed purely as a Training Company selling courses to members of the public who wanted to "break into" the IT Industry. Successful graduates were then supplied to various recruitment agencies to assist in finding the IT job. Some candidates were very successfull some not so, Cerco had very little control over the outcome. In 2003 our current owner purchased the business and he quickly identified that we should have control over finding paying candidates suitable employment therefore he employed myself to set up Cerco IT Staffing Solutions. Our remit was to take responsibility for placing the graduates as opposed to handing them over to recruitment agencies. I personally feel in the main we did an exceptional job with this however fully understand there may be ex-candidates out there who in their experience we didn't. One of the difficulties we came across was managing candidates expectations - there are certain parts of the UK that don't have as much opportunity to work in IT, jobs are more scarce. Every paying customer should have been informed as to the suitability of their personal geographical location either on initial contact or assessment. As an Agency we couldn't and can't create the jobs, we can only fill them with suitable candidates when they arise. In 2010 we made the monumental decision to stop selling our training courses. This was because Cerco candidates were becoming increasingly more popular due to their positive attitude and desire to succeed, however where the jobs were wasn't necesserily where our candidates lived. This came to a head when a customer requested 25 candidates for a specific 6 month contract in the South West of England and we were only able to supply them with 6 people. In essence we had to give 19 vacancies away to our competition, that hurts ..... A decision was taken at Board level that all of our training would be given away from that point and we would in essence become purely a recruitment agency that happens to train suitable candidates as opposed to a training company that happens to help candidates find work. Where we differ to every other agency is that by training our own candidates the need for previous IT experience is eradicated.

With the above in mind and in response to recent comments:

1) How can what we offer be a Scam? We don't sell or make money from training therefore the only way we can exist as a business is by filling vacancies with candidates we have found and brought up to speed. If you don't work we don't make money either. At no stage has anyone whose completed our training and not been given work been asked to pay for the training. Furthermore at evaluation we stress there are no guarentees that we will successfully place anyone.

2) We never make promises about wages or guarentees, as a recruitment agency we exist purely to supply our customers with resource when they need it. This need can be withdrawn at short notice. The worst case scenario for a candidate is that they have what was a £3999 training course free of charge and still get little or no work in IT after it. The worst case scenario for us is that in that scenario we've invested time and money creating that candidate with no reward.

3) In relation to whether you will find full time through Cerco this is down to our customers and their needs. We have several candidates at present working full 40 hour weeks with a certain customer with a view to becoming permanent members of staff in 13 weeks time. We also have a large number of candidates that have and are working on long term flexible temporary contracts. There are also people waiting for their first role. As mentioned in 2) above , we can't guarentee anything but we can't be bad at finding candidates work as we are still trading.

4)Reed haven't banned our account but are providing us with advice as to how to be clearer on our advertising. When we have specific roles we should stipulate it, when we are looking at increasing our pool of candidates via training but with no specific role in mind we should stipulate it. We have made the mistake of advertising both on the same advert which has been ambiguous.

5) The best you will get from us isn't necesserily £65 per day and 15p mileage. Others have and do get more, it purely depends on the role, hours, technicality of work, experience etc. The average salary I would say is certainly likely to be £60-£65 per day for an 8 hour working day which equates to £15600- £16900 pro rata. This is a fair salary for somebody with little or no previous IT experience.

6)We certainly DO care about our engineers because it costs so much to create them. We are not a charity we are a business and being a business means that it would not be cost effective to keep throwing away your product because it's easy to create another. In our case it's not easy to create another and I strongly object to any of our candidates being called "suckers". We pride ourselves on supplying our customers with candidates that pride themselves on a positive work ethic and are technically trained to be able to provide the service. The vast majority of our candidates are grateful for the opportunity that has been given them and repay that faith by enhancing the reputation we have built of supplying the industry at entry level with quality, focused resource. Candidates that perpetually complain may be removed but all candidates are informed on completion of the training that if they have any issues they can contact myself or the Operations Manager. If we are giving away a free training course and breaking people into IT who have given up hope we have every right to protect ourselves by removing potential trouble makers or candidates displaying negativity.

7) I too am more than happy to respond to any request for further information or invite you along to meet us personally .

I hope that by the length of this anybody reading it can see we take our business and reputation very seriously. I won't be posting anymore responses on this forum unless I see something that I feel is a personal attack, however if anybody would like to contact me personally please feel free

Thank you very much for reading my comments
    Chris
    Posted: Jul 8, 2013 By: Chris Barlow Member since: Jul 8, 2013
  18. lynxus

lynxus UKBF Contributor Full Member

Want to get into I.T?

Here is the dirty little secret.... That they dont tell you at school or college.

Dont waste 2 or 3 years studying..
    Go get a Cisco CCNA or a MCSE book, Read it. Do practice exams online and pass. ( few hundred quid tops. )

Walk into a 20k+ job and then earn a LOT more once you have experience..
    Experience in I.T is the main thing.
    Posted: Jul 8, 2013 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  19. threenine

threenine UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Not to come across as a paranoid suspicious type of person, but did anyone else think that it it more than just pure coincidence that all the users who posted info about CerCo It Solutions, had more than a few things in common?

All had a user name that ended in a some numbers?
    All have only made 1 post?

Cerco's marketing and profiling of their target market of recruits seems to be pretty spot on! Despite all their other downfalls they appear to be a pretty nifty outfit, to not only land a good client as Fujitsu, but also target and recruit their "ideal" staff!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    Posted: Jul 9, 2013 By: threenine Member since: Nov 30, 2012
  20. Cloudcomputerrepairs2012

Cloudcomputerrepairs2012 UKBF Contributor Full Member

It can be traced easy enough with just checking the IP address he used to set the accounts up with, I felt as he got the sack because he was crap and had a hump with the company and faked all the other accounts to slam then, if he could not see that we can see there fake accounts and he was probably using the same ip address then IT is not for you.
    Posted: Jul 9, 2013 By: Cloudcomputerrepairs2012 Member since: Dec 3, 2012