1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Cancelling a Yellow Pages Ad

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by SK Virtual Assistant, Nov 23, 2007.

1. SK Virtual Assistant

SK Virtual Assistant UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi everyone

For various reasons I need to cancel my yellow pages ad which was due to go in to our local directory in Feb 08. When I spoke to the sales rep he told me that I would be able to cancel without charge up till the deadline date (which is 19 December) but I haven't actually seen this in writing as such. An ad has been designed already (1/4 column size).

I've looked at YP's T&C's but not completely clear as to how I stand - and whether they will make me pay money towards the design. This is their blurb:
    4.2.1 Except where you have a statutory right or as provided in Condition 4.2.3, you shall not have the right to cancel a Contract for Artwork.

4.2.2 In addition to any statutory rights you may have, you may apply to cancel an Advertisement (without charge, subject to Condition 4.2.5) any time prior to the Final Amendment Date (or, in the case of Bound Inserts, any time provided it is at least seven days prior the Final Amendment Date) by:-

1. giving notice as provided for in Condition 17;
    2. telephoning our Customer Service department (using the telephone number shown on the Advertisement Order) followed by a written notice which must be received by us within 7 days of your telephone call to Customer Services; or
    3. using Yell Direct.
    4.2.3 If we change these Conditions, improve a Service or change our Contract with you, as provided for in Condition 4.3 you may apply within 14 days of receipt of the notice referred to in Condition 4.3 to cancel your Advertisements or a Contract for Artwork without charge.

4.2.4 Except where you have a statutory right to cancel, no Advertisement or Contract for Artwork shall be taken to have been cancelled under this Condition 4.2 until we have issued a Confirmation of Order accepting the cancellation.

4.2.5 Subject to Condition 4.2.4, if you cancel a Contract for Bound Inserts, you must pay us a reasonable charge for any design work completed by us prior to the date of cancellation and our costs of the materials incurred. So, does it look as if I'll be able to cancel and not have to pay anything?

And do you think they'll take my free listing away?

Thanks for any info.
  2. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Regular Free Member

Sounds like you have no worries cancelling the actual ad but you might well owe them for the design. Did you finalise the design? This is your get out of jail free card if you have not finalised. If you have finalised then they have you by the looks of it. You have agreed the work is complete and as such owe them for the design.

I doubt it would affect your free listing.

Have you asked them???
  3. SK Virtual Assistant

:( - yes I did. Do you think it will cost me loads? I might ask for them to reduce the size of the ad otherwise then cancel next year. I don't want to end up paying for nothing.

So many lessons to learn in business.....

(thanks for your reply BTW).
  4. FantasyCouriers

FantasyCouriers UKBF Regular Free Member

Did they invoice you for the artwork. We got an invoice this year for £65 plus VAT for artwork for changing a telephone number! I guess that their listings revenue is declining so much they've decided to try and invoice for everything they can instead.

We phoned, moaned a bit, and generally told them we had no intention of paying £65 plus vat for changing a telephone number in an advert, and a credit note prompty arrived.

My advice, would be to argure your case as strongly as possible, and your strongest line is that their sales rep has failed to do their job properly (if i had a pound for everytime the sales rep had phoned up one week before the directories were due to close to finalise the adverts by "fax"). The company is a mess, we haven't had decent service out of them for years.:(
  5. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Regular Free Member

The thing to remember is that this is a business to business transaction and they could possibly ask for full payment if you cancel unless of course the contract says otherwise.
  6. steve23

steve23 UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi,

If the sales rep had told me i can cancel without charge before the deadline that would do for me - i wouldnt even bother looking at any further T+C

I often fail to get peoples names when i speak on the phone, so I probably wouldnt know who the sales rep was if this happend to me - but that would not stop me.

If they said it - thats it - done deal. Id cancel and think no more about it!

All the best

Steve
  7. SK Virtual Assistant

Thanks, Steve. I do actually have the name of the sales rep :) and yes, I felt that I would fight my corner if anyone tried to tell me there were charges. But we all know how customer service works in these big organisations ....

However, I actually called them on Saturday, spoke to a very friendly lady who confirmed there was nothing to pay and would put the ad forward for cancellation. It doesn't seem to have happened yet but I'll chase again on Monday if I don't hear from them by then.

I appreciate your input.
  8. steviemac

steviemac UKBF Regular Full Member

there is generally no reason why you cannot cancel as long as it is before the print deadline. I speak as someone who has had customers cancel on me less than a week before we go to print. ;)
  9. SK Virtual Assistant

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Stevie. I wouldn't do such a thing without considerable thought.

Thanks for your reply.
  10. Jonathan Senior

Jonathan Senior UKBF Regular Free Member

Sorry to hear of your woes

It's no help to you but now I know that there is actually a real person who has cancelled when they ring me up telling me about an amazing last minute offer....:p
  11. steviemac

steviemac UKBF Regular Full Member

aw it's no problem, Its just par for the course really :)