1. Welcome to the new-look UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Can you find out number of searches for a term on google?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by UK2004, Nov 28, 2006.

1. UK2004

UK2004 UKBF Regular Free Member

Is it possible to find out how many people use google.co.uk for UK searches for term 'ipod accessories' per month?
  2. Coding Monkey

Coding Monkey UKBF Regular Free Member

For the most precise, run Google Adwords for that term, run it on a very low budget (but high enough that you get seen) and you'll find out how many people viewed your advert each day.

Alternatively, what I've found SEO companies do is to use this tool which gives you Yahoo's searches for one month, and times it by 4, although as you'll see below, that could be rather conservative. It's not the best tool in the world, as it treats plurals and singulars as the same, as is apparent with your term which gives it a total of 157584 for "ipod accessory". Also, "accessory iPod" will be treated as a different term on many search engines as well.

To quote Hitwise:
    78% of UK internet searches in the four weeks to 21st October 2006 were powered by Google, up 9% year-on-year. Yahoo! took the #2 rank based on share of executed UK searches with 7.7% of the search market. Together Google, Yahoo! Search, MSN Search and Ask.com powered 96.6% of all UK internet searches, up 2% year-on-year.

Hope that helps.
  3. UK2004

Unfortunately google won't allow any terms with ipod or ipods to be adworded particularly not ipod accessoriess so hard to check.

Do you know if Overture is Yahoo UK searches only or is it worldwide? 157k good ifgure but I imagine not just UK searches? Anyone know?
  4. Coding Monkey

Coding Monkey UKBF Regular Free Member

Those results are from the UK alone. Remember, that could be 1 person searching 1,000 times.
  5. UK2004

Crumbs that is a lot of searches!
  6. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Regular Free Member

Overture information can be pretty ropy.

It's quite often too high and, occasionally ( and I had an example of this when doing some market research today), complete nonsense.

A lot of people recommend Wordtracker, but I've heard that that can be unrealiable too.

If anyone knows something really reliable, please post it, it would really help me.

Steve