Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Buying a used Golf 2015?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Reneé Williams, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Reneé Williams

Reneé Williams UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever bought a second-hand car from Jonathan Fildes Services in Meath. Found the Golf for sale on their website jf.ie and was wondering, if that's a good place to get a car from. Opinions appreciated. Thank you

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 By: Reneé Williams Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

There is no such thing as a good or bad car sales outlet. There are just good or bad cars and their sticker prices.

I went to a registered Mercedes dealership and bought a brand new E-Class. It was the worst car I have even owned and in every aspect, from reliability, consumption, costs, you name it. That was the W210 series, one of the biggest basket cases in automotive history!

Prior to that, I had bought a used E-Class from a dealership and it was one of the best cars I have ever owned. That was the W124 series, one of the best cars they had ever built.

My mistake was to rely on the fact that Mercedes had (at the time) a good reputation. I assumed that I didn't have to do my homework on the car itself.

So don't rely on the dealer being a nice guy - do your homework!

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. The Byre

Here are a few tips -

1. Diesel - check that the DPF (filter) has been replaced. They last 80-100,000 miles and cost about €1,200 to replace. If it has not been replaced recently (don't just take their word for it!) knock at least €1k off their price.

2. Don't be fixed on one model. "It MUST be a VW Golf!" is a very bad attitude to car-buying! There are cars that are better built and more reliable than VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW. Think away from those 'fashionable' marques and look at Honda, Skoda, Toyota. Honda in particular is very well built and does not demand a daft premium like Audi and VW and a Skoda is a VW.

3. NEVER believe the mileage. Look at the steering wheel, pedals, floor, engine bay, tyres and driving seat and judge the mileage from those indicators. Now look at the clock - if they do not match, run away, don't walk!

4. NEVER believe the manufacturers consumption figures. All that 80mpg or three litres to 100km is pure invention - it always was.

5. Calculate! People pay silly prices for small cars, because they think that they cost very little to run and they avoid sensible family saloons. But the difference in purchase price can be double for the sexy VW Golf or small Audi, compared to a Honda Accord of the same age and mileage.

6. Remember that all modern cars fall off a cliff at about 10-12 years of age, i.e. the cost of maintenance p.a. will exceed the value of the car.

4. Reneé Williams

Thank you for your reply. However, I believe, buying from a mechanic may be a good thing, since they surely must check all the cars before selling them? I always asked my mechanic to go with me to take a look at a car, before I make my decision whether to buy it or not. And here they have 2 in 1... Anyway, as you said, I have to do my homework first. Can't wait to get a new car though! And by the way, my husband has had quite a poor experience with Mercedes Dealers too

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 By: Reneé Williams Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  5. Reneé Williams

These are some good tips! Thank you very much! I am going crazy about that Golf though... Just seems like a perfect car for me. However, if things didn't go well with it, I might consider Honda. They say, it's reliable and economical. Looks nice too.
    I'll post an update, once decision has been made.
    Thanks again

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 By: Reneé Williams Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  6. The Byre

Nobody can check everything - it's very much down to what has happened to the car in the past and the quality of the build.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Enjoy!

7. Reneé Williams

Thanks a million!

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 By: Reneé Williams Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  8. The Byre

I have to admit that I only found that website recently and it has opened my eyes to a few facts about the auto industry - and also explains why my wife's Honda Accord (bought very cheaply!) ran for several years without a single fault. I thought that she'd just got lucky! It also explains why friends of mine who have bought Beemers, Audis and VWs were less lucky.

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013