1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Biodiesel

Discussion in 'Legal' started by marc70uk, Apr 21, 2011.

1. marc70uk

marc70uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi.
    I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone had some information with regards to the production of biodiesel. I currently have 2 jobs, one in a restaurant and one within a large taxi company. Therefore I have a supplier of used cooking oil and an outlet for selling the biodiesel. I also have a group of people willing to turn the glycerol into scented, coloured or shaped soaps! Also does anyone know if there would be any grants available to assist in this.
    Many thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
    Marc
  2. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

The duty rebate on biodiesel is the nearest thing you are going to get to a grant - and that finishes next year :mad:

It will take the waste oil from more than one restaurant to keep a single taxi going - never mind a fleet.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. marc70uk

marc70uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The restaurant I work for is part of the Mitchels and Butler group, They have 4 restaurants in the town and atleast 20 within a ten mile radius. They currently pay to have thier waste oil collected.
  4. oliver3487

oliver3487 UKBF Contributor Free Member

you can sell the waste oil to a number of recyclers. their not hard to find on google.
  5. Daryn

Daryn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I would never use biodiesel. A company not far from us was making it and all the taxidrivers were buying from them cheaper than I was paying at the pump. All the lads were laughing at me for paying full price as they were saving a fortune, so I thought I would watch for a year first but it didnt take that long.
    The taxis started breaking down and the lads lost alot of time off the road not forgetting the garage bill. And the money they saved came back to haunt them.

Believe me its not worth the grief, if I thought I could use it and save alot of money I would use it.
  6. kelvin1950

kelvin1950 UKBF Contributor Free Member

In some ways it's quite amusing to watch isn't it? People who think they can get summat for nowt without realising that if it were so then the oil companies would be putting far more biodiesel into normal derv than the 5% that normal pump fuel contains.

BTW, if anyone's interested, it rots the rubber seals in fuel systems. Most manufacturers won't guarantee their vehicles when used with bio. Most bio manufacturers recommend a max of 50%. The only company that will honour their guarantee with 100% bio usage is the VW group. It will also clog the fuel filter as the bio contains far more solvents than conventional derv and effectively washes the engine out for you, this effect eases with extended use.

As an aside, unless the correct additives are used the bio made from chip oil will freeze during cold winters. Makes the exhaust smell nice though!
  7. roydmoorian

Mis-information gone mad -

However B100 is no longer a viable option in this country now that the duty rebate is being withdrawn.
  8. kelvin1950

kelvin1950 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Oh how I love experts. Especially terse ones! :D
  9. davezzr

davezzr UKBF Regular Free Member

Obviously you have read a bit about producing biodiesel from wvo and cooking it with caustic soda ( to seperate the fats) giving you a usable fuel and a caustic soap cake as a waste product,not sure it would make a fice face soap but fine for cleaning floors. The issues are the levels of caustic used and the final fuel quality. There are loads of recipies on the web all with similar methods and giving variable results. Its true that bio made using caustic soda will wear at the rubber parts in your fuel system and it should be obvious by now that the end result from any method of extracting fats from the oil is just that,extract the fat to leave a fuel. Removing the fats can be achieved many ways that dont involve caustic...
    and the quality of the oil is very important too. Dont use oil from a chinese take away as this is always used to the last leg and will be more fat from frying than oil. chip shop oil is a must or any deep fat fryer.
    one way is to use micron filters over a bucket start with a 20 micron filter and allow your oil to drain through the filter. repeat this proccess with 10 microns then 5 then 1 . this will take ages but work ok.
    another way is to line a spindryer with the same micron sheets and use the centrafuge to seperate the fat from oil. you could set up a row of liquid filters and a central heating pump to draw the oil through a series of micron filters from one bucket to another.
    On the plus side if you can get hold of cheap rapeseed oil you wont need to do anything to it and it will run your car straight from the bottle
  10. Daryn

Daryn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

lm not convinced, this company that was making it was properly regulated VAT was payed etc etc,because taxi drivers were using it the council checked, they had all this filteration system etc but the end result was cars off the road, they say in summer time (long periods of heat that you can use it 50/50 reducing it down over the colder months, I just dont think it is worth it, I dont alot of reading on the net when all these lads started using it and told them exactly what would happen, yeah they were getting more litres than me for alot cheaper, at the time I think it was about 20p a litre cheaper but they were not getting as many miles to the gallon, all the engines didnt run nice either. Then one by one they were off the road but I was still making money. Its all over the net you only have to read up on it, no one has a good thing to say about it long term and as for making filter systems and doing all that collecting of oil well its money out your pocket before you start. One company sells a heating system that warms the oil up before it enters the cars system that seemed a good idea but it took up space in your boot and the cost was pretty hig too. I think if you want alternative fuel I would rather go for a petrol car on gas or a hybrid car but I still say pure diesel engines is the best way to go, stronger etc.
  11. roydmoorian

Sounds like it was a cowboy operation not operating to standard and without adequate laboratory test results and therefore none of the fuel used would be classified B100 and so the full rate of duty would be payable on all production with NO REBATE for biodiesel.

VAT is also chargeable on top of the fuel duty if the production company exceeds the VAT turnover threshold.

The systems which heat the oil before combustion use unconverted SVO and as such FULL RATE DUTY is payable and yes they do work for extened engine life if well maintained, properly used and adequately serviced.

An individual is still allowed to use 2499 litres per year of SVO or SVO based fuel without suffering penalties from HMRC but should be able to prove the quantity used by meticulous record keeping,