Employment & HR Brought to you by Milkround
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Automatic Enrolment Pensions : Not req, yet I still need to set it up ? ! ?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Justin Smith, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Bushman

Bushman UKBF Contributor Free Member

Agree entirely with this, but in just the same way if 1,000 small businesses expenses go up by £1,000 that's £1,000,000 less they can spend in the economy to build their businesses up and employ more people who in turn pay more taxes and spend their wages in the economy. The problem is that in recent times the goverrnment seems to be pushing small businesses who are "just about managing" over the edge.

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 By: Bushman Member since: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

I agree. That is because, particularly to the current government, small businesses, just like small people, who are just about managing, are of absolutely no interest. Let them go under, it won't affect the top 1%.

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Ace Full Member

Oh dear, another advertisement from the Labour Party. And one that ignores the facts and figures (as it typical of those who talk more from tribal loyalty than common sense).

The average voter doesn't understand the ease with which capital crosses borders and how difficult it is to tax the slippery HNWI and multinationals. I would have thought you knew better.

Labour were in power for long enough to have made big, far reaching changes to the tax system. Why didn't they block this 1% from becoming richer? The wealth disparity didn't happen overnight, it's been happening for a long time and a lot of it happened during the 14 years Labour were in power.

Did Labour not have the will to do this? Did they not have a huge Parliamentary majority?

The answers are yes and yes. But they discovered that it ain't easy to make the big multinationals pay their fair share. Raise the tax and these boys will simply go elsewhere. It takes coordinated international action. If you research the matter you'll find that no Chancellor of the Exchequer has done more on this than George Osborne with all his efforts at at the OECD ...and elsewhere (though Brown did a fair bit too). But you don't get a lot of mention about this in the left wing rags because the import of "changes to beneficial ownership" is too complicated for their average reader to understand.

Labour were too busy running their class war by banning fox-hunting and introducing a 50% top tax rate (despite the fact that it arguably results in less money for the exchequer!) In fact, the burden of red tape on small business today has largely come from Labour governments.

Let's put blind class hatred aside, it ain't pretty. The Tories have done a lot of things wrong, but ranting about them sacrificing small businesses because it won't affect the top 1% makes you sound off your rocket.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Posted: Jan 1, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  4. Bushman

Bushman UKBF Contributor Free Member

I am not clever enough to understand half of what Clinton is talking about, but it's obvious to most small business owners that neither Labour or Conservative are any better than the other, both parties between them have over the years made businesses responsible for;

• Sickness Pay - a job for the welfare state
    • Maternity Pay - a job for the welfare state
    • Adoption Pay - a job for the welfare state
    • Pensions - a job for the welfare state
    • Debt Collection (through AoE orders) - a job for debt collectors
    • Immigration control - by fining hauliers who have there vehicles broken into and used by stow aways - a job for the border police

Non of the above have anything to do with running a business and I am sure there are many more other rules & regs that other businesses will find an additional burden. It's not surprising that so many startups go under, how is a one man business expected to understand all the rules associated with these tasks. After all the government has a whole department for each one.

In short both political parties just keep passing the buck onto businesses instead of accepting that the welfare state is their responsibility.

And yes, I am just a grumpy old business owner who has seen things get more and more difficult for business in the 40 plus years I have had my own business. I really feel for any of todays youngsters who are trying to start out in business under these conditions.

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 By: Bushman Member since: Nov 17, 2015
  5. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Regular Free Member

Back to AE pensions !

Not having read through all the bumph they sent me I just ploughed on. I enrolled my three staff before "the staging date" as one would have thought one had to do. These are the three staff who are actually in a different pension scheme and don`t want to join the AE scheme. I was told they`d get a welcome pack through the post with details of how to opt out. Unfortunately their welcome packs didn`t, apparently, include any details of how to opt out. So Muggins here had to spend even more time on it phoning NEST pensions. To be fair they did answer the phone fairly quickly and didn`t force me to talk to a computer (something I NEVER do on a point of principle) to do so, so that`s a good point in their favour ! NEST informed me that because I`d signed up the employees before the staging date they were classed as voluntary, therefore there was no details in the welcome pack as to how to opt out ! Fortunately the lady from NEST talked me through how to alter the schemes (for each employee) to "no more contributions payable". I was surprised, but relieved, that I didn`t have to get something in writing from each employee to confirm this.
    Anyway, finally, I think I`ve sorted it all out.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  6. Justin Smith

I was more or less with you on this post till you got to this, banning fox hunting has got nothing to do with class. I know people of all classes who feel both ways on the issue. It`s not even entirely a countryside v city issue, I used to live opposite a farm (informational note : try not to live near a farm with pigs, you`ll regret the smell, and the flies in the summer ! ), yet I don`t approve of fox hunting.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Intelligent Payroll

Intelligent Payroll UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 By: Intelligent Payroll Member since: Jan 6, 2017
  8. Clinton

I don't feel strongly for or against fox hunting. And as you say, FH is probably not exclusively a class issue but ...the public often associate it with class (partly helped by Labour who seem obsessed with class).

Labour devoting a huge amount of Parliament time to banning FH ... that was class motivated (and was covered as such by the press at the time). Labour saw the PR advantage of banning something that they could portray as both a cruel sport and as a pursuit of toffs. So they put aside all the pressing matters at the time - and there were a fair few - to ban FH. They then went strutting about to boast about how they nobbled the upper classes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Posted: Jan 8, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Newchodge

One of the anti-ban arguments that I hated was the class argument - only class haters want to ban fox hunting. I didn't hear any of the upper class twits who regularly ride to hounds demanding the return of dog fighting or badger bating. Why is that, do you think?

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Clinton

Very moderate choice of words!

I'll never understand why some of you British make it such a life's priority to habour and spread class hatred.

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. Newchodge

It's dead simple. Most of us Briitish have been victims of class power and control all of our lives. Some of us don't 'know our place' but fight against our allotted position in their scheme of things.

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  12. Justin Smith

I never heard any arguments about fox hunting that were anything to do with class, I don`t understand where you get that from.

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  13. Justin Smith

The Labour party being obsessed with class ? Of course you have to define "class". I define class as power, specifically power over ones own life and the life of ones children. Using that definition of course those with the power will never be bothered about it, it`d only be those without it that would be. And I`m more a Liberal voter than Labour, certainly since Blair`s demise.

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  14. Justin Smith

I really do feel like banging my head against a brick wall now....
    I`ve just got an E Mail saying I have to sign "Declaration of compliance", Online of course, that way it doesn`t cost them anything, not even their time.
    I try to do it but (apart from telling me it`s going to take at least 15 minutes.....) it kept coming up "page unavailable". Even more worryingly it`s telling me I have to go through all this **** every four years, or more often if I take on any new staff.
    I REALLY agree with an earlier poster, Pensions are a Government / State responsibility. They should not be just trying to hive it off to employers.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  15. Newchodge

It's just continuing a theme - PAYE, NI, RTI, SSP, SMP, all those should have been administered by the state, as they are state matters. The time to object was when PAYE came in!

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Justin Smith

You`re right about objecting when PAYE first came out. I`ve always really objected to being an unpaid tax collector, and even more so when it sometimes takes so long to get through to them on the phone !

I`ve already been on this "Declaration of compliance" page for far more than 15 minutes, the page has crashed again, and I haven`t even finished it yet......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Posted: Jan 20, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012