Anyone had a unsolicited calls from these guys?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by TheBigCheese, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi everyone

I've just had a call from someone calling from "Active Energy Direct", who know that I have just moved my business.

They were trying to establish whether the new address is a business or residential address (it's residential, I work from home now), whereas previously I was in a rented office with the landlord sorting out all the utility details.

It's got me a bit worried really, he was evasive about what he was wanting, wouldn't give me anymore details and I wasn't forthcoming either telling him I didn't give out any personal details to cold callers.

Has anyone had dealings with this company before and do you know what it's about? I asked if he was selling something and he said no, he was calling on behalf of the big energy suppliers such as British Gas.

That's got me worried...how are things like energy supply etc. calculated when you have a home office calculated when you are using just 1-2 rooms of the house running just computers? Changing tariffs didn't cross my mind until just now (though the address is still residential).

Sorry, that was several questions in one post!
    Posted: Jul 9, 2010 By: TheBigCheese Member since: Oct 22, 2008
  2. FairSmart

FairSmart UKBF Contributor Free Member

You should stay on a residential tariff but claim some back in self assessment. No need to go on business rates. Call me if you need anything
    Posted: Jul 9, 2010 By: FairSmart Member since: May 18, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. FairSmart

FairSmart UKBF Contributor Free Member

As for him getting your details he has found them by searching google or new company formations data and is cold calling looking to provide a comparison service for business energy clients.

Its more than likely to be legitimate but be wary as there are actually more than 6 energy companies in the market. The big six aren't always cheapest either.

I Googled Active Energy Direct who are based in Manchester. However they don't even have a website.

Active Energy Direct Ltd.

Exchange House
    40-44 Cariocca Business Park
    Manchester
    M12 4AH

Companies House
    Registration Number: 6790580
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Posted: Jul 9, 2010 By: FairSmart Member since: May 18, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese UKBF Regular Free Member

Thanks very much for your replies, it's certainly appreciated! :D

I'll not worry about it then...I do find cold calling a pain!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    Posted: Jul 13, 2010 By: TheBigCheese Member since: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Guest

When I set up my last business, I received a similar cold call from an 'energy company' offering to help. From outr conversation it appeared that I would select my energy supplier and pay them a fee for sorting it out.

Obviously they target the apparent naivity of new-start businesses.

I am tolerant to (professional) cold-callers, but as a rule insist that they email information before making any decisions - normally weeds out the crooks.
    Posted: Jul 13, 2010 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. money24seven

money24seven UKBF Newcomer Free Member

With energy being de-regulated there are companies now hitting the UK just like the telephone discounters that ran as MLM companies. I have been approached by an American interesting in recruiting UK people for an electricity supply company.
    Posted: May 12, 2012 By: money24seven Member since: May 12, 2012
  7. mhall

mhall UKBF Contributor Free Member

The original post was almost two years ago !
    Posted: May 12, 2012 By: mhall Member since: Sep 8, 2009
  8. Searcher

Searcher UKBF Contributor Free Member

Posted: May 15, 2012 By: Searcher Member since: Feb 22, 2010