Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Any interesting ways to advertise for free

Discussion in 'West Midlands' started by Phoenix Driving, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Phoenix Driving

Phoenix Driving UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi all,

My wife and I have started a Driving school in Cirencester and Cheltenham called Phoenix driving and as a new business we are trying to think of ways to advertise for free.

We have wrote a few articles, got local press interest, delivered leaflets, put cards in shops,and takeaways.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Posted: Feb 16, 2011 By: Phoenix Driving Member since: Feb 16, 2011
  2. UKSBD

UKSBD UKBF Legend Staff Member

Find out where 17 year olds hang out during the day and make sure you have to drive past it a few times as part of your route.

Assuming you have your name and number splashed on your cars.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  3. WirralPrinters

WirralPrinters UKBF Newcomer Free Member

One of my current and ongoing projects (directory) is for driving schools! (still in development stage).

I would check out any free listing directories that you can advertise in for your target audience.

Also check out 'gumtree' :)

Local papers will normally allow you to add free articles for new businesses (normally in return of advertising space later on though).

Get your own vehicles to promote your business with advertising print on your vehicles.

Local paper adverts each week....

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 By: WirralPrinters Member since: Jan 27, 2011
  4. GreatSEO

GreatSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Well FREE is not free if using petrol etc etc which will all come at a small cost but it depends on what you are looking for. A few ideas to get you started -

Local Parish Magazine (Yes I know it is unheard of which is why it is good) It is also very cheap.

Tesco Notice Board, Newsagents cork boards, local takeaways will often let you leave cards.

There will always be local businesses that support local businesses so networking with local business will be beneficial.

The local college is a great idea but it is how you approach it. 1 way would be to leave flyers offering half price first lesson in the student bars and other obvious places.

Some simple but effective ideas I hope

Dave

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 By: GreatSEO Member since: Mar 20, 2006
  5. mountrecruitment

mountrecruitment UKBF Regular Full Member

run a competition with free lessons as the prize then promote it as much as possible - methods mentioned above. Make it by email or post and get some contact details etc. You now have list of potential clients.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 By: mountrecruitment Member since: May 12, 2008
  6. OpenSure

OpenSure UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I like UKSBD's idea. We have a 17 yo and an 18 yo learning to drive, and word-of-mouth and incentives are how they've found their instructors, but it's a small market out where we live. Advertise through the VIth forms, young farmers (can you tell we live in the country?!), petrol stations, even see if there would be opportunities to do a presentation to groups of young people through youth clubs or similar outfits. You could try appealing to the parents too, or even run some free 'safe driving tips' workshops and offer one free lesson if they sign up for 10 or something. If you give the kids or their parents (or ideally both!) confidence in you then you're away. Running the free events will provide you not only with a room full of potential customers, but some useful market research too.

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: OpenSure Member since: Apr 1, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. dedwardp

dedwardp UKBF Regular Full Member

My idea would be to meet up with the local college and try to agree a deal to become their 'official driving school' or something similar; all of their students get 10% discount upon displaying their college ID card or so on so the college can promote as their goodwill for students whilst you ought to get stacks of work for it.

Through the partnership you can have flyers and cards displayed around the college or reminders of you in the weekly bulletins and so on, then every September another group of 16/17 year olds turn up and you get a replenishing audience.

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 By: dedwardp Member since: Aug 1, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. JPBF

JPBF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thank god SOMEBODY mentioned Social Networking sites!! You've opened up a driving school, print out some leaflets and give them to the local high schools advertising your driving schools facebook page. This will drum up alot of business! Always remember your target age group.

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 By: JPBF Member since: Feb 26, 2011
  9. JPBF

JPBF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thank god SOMEBODY mentioned Social Networking sites!! You've opened up a driving school, print out some leaflets and give them to the local high schools advertising your driving schools facebook page. This will drum up alot of business! Always remember your target age group.

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 By: JPBF Member since: Feb 26, 2011
  10. dan_ibdm

dan_ibdm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

You can also have a look at sites such as Find It In Worcestershire as these are completely free to use. I know it's just 'over the border' from Gloucestershire but it would be a good place to have a look and there may be a similar site to this nearer to you.

Agree that social media sites will also drum up lots of business if done correctly.

Dan

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 By: dan_ibdm Member since: Mar 2, 2011
  11. gatekeeperuk

gatekeeperuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Yes... you can always find a number of free local classifieds with high traffic. If you post your ads in those classifieds, there is high chance to get some business

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: gatekeeperuk Member since: Apr 19, 2011
  12. gemd89

gemd89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My partner is currently learning to drive and we went with 20 lessons for £180, there was also other offers like first lesson free £56 for 5 lessons. Why not make a page on facebook - surely there will be alot of 16/17 year olds on facebook that would like your page and maybe book lessons with you - then you can post offers on there and interact with people - post some useful driving facts and information to help people pass their theory and other test.

Happy to help you with a page if you havent got one

Gemma

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  13. 5wire

5wire UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Any local colleges which you could go hand out leaflets to?

IMO (as a student), students pay per lesson rather than for a week of driving intensity unless you can establish the cost effectiveness and difference. There are also universities your way so you can always offer sessions during half terms, maybe some sort of discount over set weeks when students are offer.

I'm at university, and very social to say the least. I don't know anybody who has done an intensive course, just weekly (once or twice) lessons if that is any help.

James

Posted: May 2, 2011 By: 5wire Member since: Jul 14, 2010
  14. BowlerHat

BowlerHat UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Yes, the social networking sites are fantastic for your target age group. If you're not good on computers you may have a whizz-kid in your family that wants to earn a bit of pocket money to set up your Facebook.

Trying to park your car near the local college if you're in town for lunch wouldn't go a miss either, find out where they all eat lunch and drop in a poster or leaflet or something :)

I know you said you wanted free advertising but I would speak to the local college to see how much a small ad in their sixth-form prospectus would be. It might be cheaper than you expect and would go straight into the hands of your target market.

Good luck!

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 By: BowlerHat Member since: Jul 1, 2011
  15. Avon Rep

Avon Rep Guest

Promote your business for free in local magazines, newspapers, community newsletters, etc. Many rely on voluntary writing contributions.

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 By: Avon Rep Member since: Aug 22, 2011
  16. Bucket Monkeys

Bucket Monkeys UKBF Newcomer Free Member

You could try the free basic membership on: bucketmonkeys.co.uk

Posted: Nov 29, 2012 By: Bucket Monkeys Member since: Nov 27, 2012
  17. Zenicman

Zenicman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

When I was looking for driving lessons the thing I wanted to learn in was a “cool” car sop to speak rather than say a small corsa something more sporty. I found someone who gave lessons in a ml5 fiesta zetec s and other sporty cars.
    Try and target something different with so many people around doing driving now you need a USP

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 By: Zenicman Member since: Oct 23, 2006
  18. Mark Walters

Mark Walters UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Set-up a free website using Blogger or Wordpress and post articles related to learning to drive. Include references to the town where you're operating in some of the articles and you should show up in Google when people search for information about driving lessons in your town.

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 By: Mark Walters Member since: Nov 10, 2012
  19. Alan

Alan UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

Take a look at our local driving school, http://www.catdriving.co.uk/ the car is the biggest advert, its just noticable as it drives around, followed by all teh other stuff i.e. good website ( not one of our though so it has faults :) facebook page etc.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  20. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Students are ALWAYS short of money... offer 10% finders fee for mates referrals whether they've learned to drive with you or not :D

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006