123-reg, how to upload webpage?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Tim_Bruce, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Tim_Bruce

Tim_Bruce UKBF Regular Free Member

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie with registration and uploading website stuff and hopefully you can help me with this.

I've registered with 123-reg my website
    August 2007. But I've never managed to upload my webpage which I've written in html-code. The only thing which is currently uploaded is the page using this "instant builder" provided by 123-reg.

Now, my questions are:
    1. How do I upload my own website? I don't want this
    silly website which was constructed with the "instant
    builder"?
    2. Although my website is online for over half year
    why can I not find it on Google?

Many thanks,
    Tim
    Posted: Feb 8, 2008 By: Tim_Bruce Member since: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Leo-InstallingIT

Leo-InstallingIT UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

Hi

In order to upload your website you will need FTP access. You should be able to find the details for this in your control panel.

It will be an address you are a username and password.
    The address is likely to be something like ftp://ftp.yoursite.com for example.
    You should be able to type this into internet explorer, and it will ask you for a username and password. If you enter your 1-2-3 detail it should let you in.
    Then you should be able to replace the files that are currently on there with the new ones.

Google will only find your site if you have other sites linking to it, or you submit the url to them. You can submit it at : http://www.google.com/addurl/

I hope this helps.
    Please let me know if you need more detailed instructions & do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Many Thanks

Leo
    Posted: Feb 8, 2008 By: Leo-InstallingIT Member since: Oct 7, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tim_Bruce

Tim_Bruce UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the quick reply!:)
    I have indeed found some details in my control panel.
    Here they are

Here I'm not sure about this 123-reg hosting package. Do I really need to buy this package? If so, I'm feeling rip-off because 123-reg is making think you just need to register with them.

Anyway, the further instructions are

So using "Filezilla" do I still need this 123-reg web hosting package?

Much appreciated!
    Tim
    Posted: Feb 8, 2008 By: Tim_Bruce Member since: Feb 7, 2008
  4. jdpos

jdpos UKBF Regular Free Member

Yes you need a hosting package, I offer them cheap but there are alot on these forums that offer good quality for higher price, but you get what you pay for, add a request in the tenders forum.

I can help you out with setting it up and uploading your files etc:D drop me a PM

Jordan
    Posted: Feb 8, 2008 By: jdpos Member since: Nov 10, 2007
  5. amushy

amushy UKBF Regular Free Member

I have the same problem. This company did not send me FTP server or host name in their welcome email. When asked them through email, they ask me to go to control panel and arrange re-sending of email. But this is wrong, their control panel is trying to sell different packages rather than letting us manage our website. It looks like that all their emails are auto generated.
    I have found that this company is related to pipex and it is well known that internet is full of complains against pipex.
    I'll probably cancel hosting with 123 and move to another.

mush
    Posted: Mar 25, 2008 By: amushy Member since: Mar 25, 2008
  6. spreadsheetsdirect

spreadsheetsdirect UKBF Regular Free Member

you should get a 'Hosting added..' email when your hosting has been activated. On it you'll find

FTP server: mine is hosting8.123-reg.co.uk
    Username: what you picked
    Password: random characters

You need to download http://filezilla-project.org/ or similar. I use filezilla so can explain that easier. When you open it go to File - Site Manager. Click on New site and enter the host, user and password as per you email. You might need to change Servertype to FTP and Logontype to normal but when filled in click Connect and it should open up your domain in the boxes on the right with you computer folders in the left. Once set up you can just click the big R button to reconnect quickly. Then you just double click or drag the files you want to move over to the domain.
    Posted: Mar 26, 2008 By: spreadsheetsdirect Member since: Jun 29, 2007
  7. bearwithheart

bearwithheart UKBF Regular Free Member

yeah the easiest and quickest way is through filezilla
    Posted: Oct 31, 2008 By: bearwithheart Member since: Oct 30, 2008
  8. stepz

stepz Guest

----------------------

IN RESPONSE:

I Have found that you can GET PASSED HAVING TO SIGN UPTO REG 123 expensive hosting package by linking a free hosting service such as 000webhost.com

to your domain (website address).

once you sign up with OOOwebhost.com who provide free hosting. follow this link which explains how to use this with your domain by changing the Nameserver details on your reg 123 account:

see:
    makemoneyblogging.tv/startablog/2009/changing-the-domain-name-server-with-123reg/

or google: Changing the domain name server with 123reg and its the third link down:

hope this helps!! it helped me lots and saved me £43.00
    Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: stepz Member since: Oct 2, 2009
  9. RobM

RobM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have made a website in Dreamweaver CS5 and need to publish it.
    I have bought a .co.uk domain name from 123-reg and need to publish the site. Is there any way i can use a free host website like [ 000space.com/ ] to use as the host and still use the .co.uk domain name.
    Basically im trying to get free hosting can anyone help please.
    Posted: Jul 10, 2010 By: RobM Member since: Jul 9, 2010
  10. RobM

RobM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi im trying to upload my website from Dreamweaver CS5 to the web. I bought a domain name from 123-reg but dont want to bye the host/sever package. Is there anyway i can use a free server to host the files but use a my 123-reg domain name? PLease i need help. Thanks for your time :)
    Posted: Jul 10, 2010 By: RobM Member since: Jul 9, 2010
  11. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Moderator

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy (I used to do it)

Find a free web host by Googling, then follow their procedures on their site

www.110mb.com & www.000webhost.com are the biggest and aren't gonna go bust :cool:
    Posted: Jul 10, 2010 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  12. PhoneSupportWorldwide

PhoneSupportWorldwide UKBF Contributor Free Member

Wow has anyone else noticed this thread has over 4k views? All for just 10 posts... crazy! lol.
    Posted: Jul 12, 2010 By: PhoneSupportWorldwide Member since: Mar 6, 2010